viii. apologies and risks.

— ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ —

— ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ —

OAKLEY, JJ, AND POPE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR AN HOUR FOR JOHN B AND KIARA TO APPEAR, but they haven't. Pope, JJ, and the girl lounge around in JJ's backyard, the dark-skinned boy sits on the ground against the house with a book in his hands, the blonde plays around throwing the ball at the wall for it to bounce back to him and the girl lays on her back with her head next to Pope's legs as she plays in her phone.

"I'm getting worried, guys," she voices her concern, shutting off her phone and dropping it back on her chest.

"Don't knock yourself out, Oak, I bet they're making out somewhere near the shore or something,"

Pope rolls his eyes and shakes his head.

"We agreed to meet here, they'll come around eventually,"

Oakley blows out her mouth and shrugs. She looks back at her phone just to find a message from her mother.

Mor: Your father and Rowan are off to the mainland for the weekend. Work stuff. I need you home to take care of Bug.

Groaning loudly, Oakley rolls onto her stomach so that her fingers work better when she types a reply. She looks up as the boys watch her curiously.

"Mom wants me home, Rowan and my dad are away for the weekend and she doesn't want Bug to be home alone,"

Pope frowns, "Why doesn't she leave him at your cousins' house?"

Oakley lifts her eyebrows and chuckles.

"She isn't very fond of Rose and her parenting methods," she replies, rubbing her forehead.

Why don't u ask Stella? She never has plans.

Oakley waits for a reply, her fingers dancing above the keyboard impatiently.

Mor: She does today. Come on, Cherry, I'll be back in a couple of hours and I'll let you go if you really want to.

With a defeated sigh, the Clifton girl stands as she dusts herself off, running a hand through her hair and stretching her stiff back. JJ and Pope look at her with questioning looks.

"Alright boys," she drops her hands to her sides, "Duty calls," she smiles, saluting.

"Come on, Red," JJ whines, bending his knees and tilting his head back.

"You're really gonna trap yourself home for the rest of the day?" Pope asks, urging her to stay.

"Mom's gonna be home in a couple of hours. With how things are going, I don't think they'll be here for another few hours, so, I'll be good to go when you guys are," she shrugs.

The two boys share a look and nod.

"I'll take the Twinkie to JB's, grab my truck, and head home, alright?"