xix. hers and his.

— ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ —

— ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ —

   THE POGUES NOW SIT ON A TABLE at the Wreck, missing one blonde piece of the puzzle that Oakley can't stop thinking about. The argument had left her bothered, and the way his eyes looked at her and his mouth spoke so venomously still haunts her mind and makes it impossible for her to take a breath. She'd only see him be so cold with her once.

   "Look, he'll come around, alright? It's. . . He's doing a JJ thing," John B tries to comfort the girl, who sits with her knees pulled up against her chest.

   "You think he'll go home?" Kie asks.

The thought only adds weight to Oakley's concern as the possibility perks up in her mind, sending dread into her every bone. What if he did go home?

   "There's about a zero percent chance that JJ goes home," Pope replies, leaning his arm on the window and looking out thoughtfully.

   "Except there's not," Oakley shakes her head, her eyes slowly rising to look at everyone, "I-I should really go find him-" she stands.

Kie leans forward and pulls the girl back onto the chair.

   "Let him go, Oak. He knows better. And there's no way he won't come around, much less when you're here,"

Her eyelids slide shut and her body eases itself back on the chair as she lets her head fall between her knees. She hadn't eaten since yesterday's lunch, but try all she might, she couldn't even bring herself to open her mouth for nourishment. The worries were too heavy and the world constantly put new tasks before her, preventing her from taking a second to stop and treat herself.

   "Wanna eat something?" Kie whispers to the girl.

Staying in her position, Oakley shakes her head.

   Pope sighs, "Okay. It's too dangerous to pawn this thing off piecemeal," he begins pacing, "So our best bet is to go down there and get the rest of it,"

Oakley raises her head tiredly.

   "Bring it all up at once. Put it in- in a safe or a vault or something, I- I don't know. Just until we can find someone who won't rip us off, okay? I can figure it out tonight, I can get it all done, and we can be out there as early as tomorrow morning,"

   "Alright, let's do it," John B agrees.

   "Easy,"

   "Yeah, let's go,"

Sarah looks between the two boys.

   "What about that thing with my dad?" She asks John B.

Realization hits him like a truck as every pair of eyes in the room turn to him.

   "Shit,"

   "What thing?" Oakley asks, somehow angered.

   "I. . . have to go fishing with Ward,"