xxvii. absquatulate

— ⋆  ⋆ ⋆ —

— ⋆  ⋆ ⋆ —

   THE NIGHT FEELS SINISTER ON THEIR CHILLED SKINS. The sun has sought shelter behind the horizon and the moon has been shoved into the stage against its will— unprepared to witness the tragedy that rubs its hands mischievously, eager to strike the island. The clouds and the ocean's complaints roar in the form of thunder and lightning, howling their forewarning in a disheartened screech filled with rage and pain. But nothing will save the teens from their young catastrophe, and nature knows it before they're aware of its severity. Not even the stars dare to peek into the void, as they rather hide behind the clouds like a kid covers their eyes in a horror movie.

Unfortunately, covering their eyes is no option for the Pogues as they are escorted out of the cop cars, stepping onto the windy grounds where a campaign of police tents and fire trucks surround. The sight is nauseating, and their mouths simultaneously fall open when their minds fully take in the mess that has come out of a complete misunderstanding. The Pogues have always been troublemakers— The black sheep of the island— but they would never become more than that. They would never become murderers.

As the three teens are forced out of the car and given indications towards a tent in the near middle, Oakley's hand nervously seeks for JJ's embrace and the two interlock fingers as they walk behind Kie and Pope. Their glossy eyes scan the area in dread, and Oakley's throat feels constructed all over again. The pain in her head is unbearable, but amongst the bigger adversity that surrounds them, the physical pain becomes the easiest to ignore. Even in that moment, with every possible concrete evidence that everything they ever feared is becoming true, the girl struggles to swallow the pill, and it all just feels like a fever dream.

   "Right to your left here," a cop points the kids towards a row of seats inside a tent, Oakley taking a hesitant seat between JJ and Kiara.

   "Righ here," JJ sits and places a hand on her thigh, "Sit down. Don't move. We got a lot to talk about," Shoupe looks at all of them with disgust.

Oakley traces circles on the back of JJ's palm.

   "Keep an eye on these kids," the man instructs before walking away.

Oakley lets her head fall back and gulps down the knot in her throat. Her spine trembles when thunder growls outside and her hand tightens on JJ's— the boy glancing up at her with his jaw clenched.

   "Blockade is up at the marsh and Masonboro and all other inlets from Shem Creek to Breach Inlet. I want eyes on all coastal access points, people. Let's get this guy,"

The girl can hear the policemen talk, and the determination in their tones only makes her feel worse about the whole ordeal. Her hands begin to sweat and she releases a faint breath, blinking hardly before focusing on the ceiling and singing in her head. JJ's body scoots closer to her and his aroma of ocean water and coconut shampoo fills her nostrils in the most knee-weakening way possible. His close proximity expels a wave of warmth and his soft hair tickles her temple, helping her disconnect for one bare second.