[about that...]

"You what?"

Sunghoon all but topples out of his chair, his mind having trouble registering the very words that came out of Sunoo's mouth—so much so that he even has to repeat them out loud: "You turned down the date? You?"

"Might as well broadcast it to the whole street if you're going to be this loud," Sunoo grumbles; out of all the days that the café had to be less hectic, why did it have to be today? He knows Sunghoon isn't the type to buy into gossip, but when the blond looks over his shoulder the older boy's eyes are alight in question and surprise.

Eyebrows furrowed, Sunghoon watches his co-worker—his best friend, possibly the biggest romantic he's ever known—usher to the counter to pour milk foam atop an order of aromatic cappuccino. A question dangles at the edge of Sunghoon's tongue, but he waits until the patron fetches their drink, feeling oddly lost (he also doesn't know why his words dwindled down to whispers).

"Why?"

Sunoo shrugs, effectively making Sunghoon's mind spiral into the abyss because what is up with you? Sunoo wouldn't blame him; if someone had told him last year that he'd reject a date with someone he considered his ideal type he would've laughed in their face, but here he is, anyway. Even he's asking himself: why? But, eventually, he shrugs, cheeks warm. "I don't know."

He looks at Sunghoon, pouting, and they both stare at each other in hopeless disbelief. The bell above the glass doors chimes in signal, and instinctually Sunoo straightens, ready to greet the new customer with a megawatt grin—

But his eyes soften; they glimmer, jewels beneath golden sunlight, and Sunghoon turns around to see you, a half-smile tugging at your lips in relief, waving at them both. A café regular. The kindest, the smartest person they know... the person who carries Kim Sunoo's heart in their palms.

Ah, Sunghoon steps back, of course. Even if the younger one doesn't know why, Sunghoon does, he's been forced to watch enough rom-coms to know it once he's seen it:

Sunoo's falling—and he's falling hard.

___________

bonus !

Sunghoon catches Sunoo drawing a tiny heart next to your name on your coffee cup.

(With the former's smile being the brightest it's ever been since the weekend morning shift started, Sunghoon wonders why he hasn't caught on before.)