[like the movies]

"What're you doing?"

You laugh at the way Jay's eyes widen slightly, his expression now greatly contrasting the stoic, don't try me bitch face he'd adapted for the past hour. "What—"

"What do you think, silly?" You hold a hand out to the blond, he hesitates slightly but someone knocks into him from behind and all he can register is the warmth of your hands in his, and his cheeks flush a deep rosy hue. Chuckling, you guide his hands to your waist, placing your arms around his neck shortly after and you both sway tentatively as the wind breaks through Jay's hair.

"Y-You're not supposed to be here,"

"Well," you shrug, sending him a cheeky grin, "the birthday celebrant did book our band for this gig, not to mention they're our drummer's cousin—"

"You know what I mean," Jay mumbles, and he feels it again, that strange feeling blooming within; it expands like sweltering heat on midsummer days, salty sea breeze across spring tides, the chaos that reigns within his ribs is familiar—one that he'd always feel when he was with you. He's falling deeper, he knows that, and though there's a part of him that's afraid, he focuses on your touch and that stupid, stupid smile of yours. "Aren't you supposed to be onstage rocking the bass?"

"Maybe. But... this feels nice," you confess, "we never get to dance together. There's always one of us performing."

Words begin to fall short between you, but neither of you mind, because as the song swells into the first chorus you're both too far deep into your own world, tentative steps and gentle breaths. He looks beautiful, you think, he is beautiful.

Maybe it was the copious amount of fruit punch Jungwon forced him to drink (or the half-dozen scones he'd snatched from the table of patisseries), but Jay feels like something in the night has changed; it is steeped in a softer hue, the dainty lights hanging from the backyard pergola casts shards of auburn light across familiar faces, and sure, this party might've had him bored to death, but every ounce of weariness he feels fades away completely when he locks eyes with you, and your little half-smile sends his mind wreaking havoc.

Every romance film made it look so easy, and it makes Jay wonder if they purposely skip out the terrifying part, or is it just his feeble heart that's afraid of this one word that seemed to encompass the entirety of the universe? Or maybe it's because he knows he won't be able to do that—to give you the universe. Maybe he knows he won't be able to give as much as you deserve, and that's mortifying, because he wants nothing less when it comes to you.

The lines appearing across his face make you stop momentarily, his gaze is cast down, and you tilt your head to capture his attention. "Hey, there, tiger. What're you thinking of?"

Silently, Jay pulls you closer. The way he holds you is gentle, and the evening holds its breath as you await his answer. It comes in a whisper, and he trembles: "What if..."

What if I fall? What if I've already fallen? What if we do try and you'll realize that I don't—and never will—deserve you?

But you smile. "I know all of those 'what if's are terrifying, but... we'll figure them all out. Together. If you fall, I'll be there to catch you. Whatever it is, I'll always be with you, okay? One step at a time.

"Realistically speaking, I think I'll fall with you, though; I've had my issues with gravity."

Automatically, Jay laughs at your antics, and the sight makes you melt. He looks at you softly when you brush the hair away from his eyes, "Y'know, I've always loved it when you smile like that."

There it is: love. Sparks fly everywhere inside his chest, and though he's still scared, Jay draws strength from the sparkle in your eyes, your hand brushing against his jaw, the warmth of your presence. You seem to want to say more, mouth opening and closing as your gaze darts to his eyes to his lips, but Jay leans in, presses his lips against yours. What ifs be damned. For you, he would be brave.

The movies weren't wrong, per se; there are no fireworks, nor did time stop to let the two souls revel in the light of their love—but his heart flutters as you smile in the kiss, you pull him closer until you can tap out his heartbeat, and Jay finds solace in your arms. We'll figure it all out. Together.

So this is love, huh?