[2:25 am]

✧ nishimura riki x reader (platonic); fluff, attempted humour

nishimura riki x reader (platonic); fluff, attempted humour.

in which ni-ki wards off (seemingly) evil disturbances in the night through strange means.

wordcount: 0.4k words

includes: slight profanity, one reference of "the ring" near the end, riki being wary of ghosts, bad writing (i'm so sorry sobs)

notes: hi hello there, friends !! i'd just like to say that i am so, so sorry for not being as active in updating this as i'd like to be, school has been hectic lately :(( apologies again, and i hope you guys enjoy this <3

"...What the hell."

Severely sleep-deprived and out of it, you're rubbing your eyes out partially because you're trying to dispel the slumber lingering atop your lashes, and because you're trying to figure out if what you're seeing through a wall of blurred hues is correct—if your eyes haven't wronged you, then you're glad you didn't put your specs on, for seeing your best friend hold your cat at an arm's length with the fridge light hugging their silhouettes is not something you'd like to see in 20/20 vision.

"Riki, it's too early for this," you groan. You just wanted apple juice, for crying out loud. "Just— what are you doing?"

"I think Sunoo might've brought a spirit home," the blond confesses gravely, circling around with your pet in his grasp like a mother searching for a hidden pest, "I heard weird noises from the curtain."

"That doesn't explain why you're holding Koko up like that."

His gaze sweeps the vicinity briefly; one look and you can tell that the tall boy is dangerously close to bolting out the window in his mismatched socks. You remind yourself to start filtering out horror films from your Netflix selections (or maybe just change your password altogether). Jay's going to give you so much shit for letting Riki get ahold of your account in the first place, but for now, you can only pray that the youngest doesn't stay awake too long to score shadows beneath his eyes.

"She's the only one that Jungwon fears," (well, sorta—you think Jungwon loves Koko more than you love her). "If she can scare one of the boldest guys here, then the spirit won't have a chance on her."

A large sigh tethers on your ribs, but you catch how rigid Riki's figure is, so you look directly at Koko, who seems to be surprisingly neutral at the prospect of becoming ghost/demon repellent and is staring back at you with complacency, glassy yellow eyes against a huge blob of grey. You scratch between her ears, exhaling as you silently give her the order of protecting him against any danger that lurks in the darkness for tonight. "Do what you will. I'm finishing homework. Don't be too clingy with her, she'll claw your eyes out."

You pull out a bottle of apple juice, smiling as you gently put your fist against Riki's cheek. He calls out to you as you begin walking back to your room. "Don't stay up too long."

"You too," you counter mid-yawn, "if a lady starts crawling out of the TV, you know where to find me."

...

He hates you so much for bringing that to mind now.