[3:08 am]

The night is too quiet, Jake decides, for his liking.

Don't get him wrong, he doesn't regret taking up engineering—it's only been a couple months since college started and this major has been a massive blast so far; he doesn't think he's enjoyed anything this much since he discovered what ramyeon was. But if he has to spend another hour straining his hand writing down calculations without any of his friends peeking over his shoulder with inquiries or droning on about how much of a nerd he is, he might just drive himself insane.

With a disgruntled noise, he drops his head against his arm, ignoring the nearing figure in his peripheral vision (is it a ghost or a hallucination conjured by his sleep-deprived state? Jake doesn't know, either) because what in the actual fuck is this workload? Frankly, the cold seeping through the café's cream-coloured walls isn't helping either, and he wants nothing more than cave inside his sweater and hibernate and—

Is that coffee?

His head shoots up at the homely scent of the beverage, and his eyes find the cup of latte situated a good distance away from his papers, sitting pretty on a cork coaster. His eyes also find you, smiling gently. Heat skims the back of his neck, and he finds himself shying away from your gaze. "I-I didn't..."

"Oh, no, it's on me, don't worry," you wave your hand, laughing softly. "Figured you'd need a little pick-me-up, with that monstrous pile of work."

"God, I know right," he laments, rubbing his face solemnly, but he sits up properly to hold the cup, admiring the neatness of the rosetta design, a grin tugging at his lips. "Thank you for this. Really."

And he steals one more gaze at you, about to walk away and he knows he has to finish this video lecture but maybe it can't hurt to take a few minutes off... right? So before he can lose you he blurts out the first thing on his mind like the suave young man he is:

"You come here often?"

You shrug, stifling a grin and only then does Jake notice the forest green of your apron and oh my fucking god. "Well, considering that I work here, yes."

You stupid idiot. "O-Of course," Jake squeezes his eyes shut briefly and he'd be more than happy to have the earth swallow him whole because if he can do mechanical engineering for a living then he can damn well think of a coherent response, but soon he starts at a realization, "wait, won't I get you in trouble? I've been keeping you too long."

"You're the only patron at this hour and half my coworkers are asleep," you point out, coaxing a chuckle from him, "I think I'll be fine. Besides, around this time I end up doing my own homework anyway."

Inhaling sharply, you give him one last smile with your hands clasped. "I'll get out of your hair now. Hang in there, yeah?"

He wills himself to tune back to his work, to end it at just that, but before he knows it, Jake is standing, table hitting his knees and he's calling out to you again. "Er..."

He doesn't know your name, so he's frozen until you face him again, expectant. His gaze falls on your nametag, cheeks burning. "I-If it isn't any trouble, would you like to study with me, Y/N?"

He thinks it's a beautiful name, and the way you smile is even more angelic; you nod at him, eyes gleaming. "I'd like that..."

"Jake."

"Jake." You repeat, retreating back behind the counter to retrieve your bag. Warmth blooms and thrives in Jake's chest when he takes a sip of the coffee, and whether it was from the copious amount of caffeine he's consumed or from the way you said his name, well...

He'll just have to cross that bridge when he gets there.