Where opposites attract

"Why?"

I still couldn't believe Ola was sitting right in front of me, and in Carol's ward?

He must have felt ashamed because his eyes  avoided mine, constantly drifting from the bedside table back to Carol's supine form.

I knew he heard my question. He obviously wasn't deaf, but I wouldn't mind repeating my question again because his silence was eating me up and I needed answers.

“Why are you here, Ola?” My patience was growing as thin as my voice with every step I took closer to him.

You know, Oladimeji Badmus really outdid himself this time. Showing up at Carol's ward was really crossing the line after all he's done to her...to us!

“What's it to you?” He snapped, eyes still fixed on Carol.

The anger brewing in my blood finally got to my head and I lost it.

“What's it to me??? Well, I'll tell you what it is! You're nothing but a disgusting piece of crap who doesn't care about anything and anyone else but himself!”

I was visibly shaking, teeth barred as I gave Ola a piece of my mind. He didn't move an inch. He sat so rigid I'd almost thought he had turn to stone save for his fluttering lashes and twitching fingers.

Not that I'd care less if he did.

“You think I wouldn't know, huh?” I taunted, visibly enraged as the image of Carol screaming at me before running off flashed before my mind.

“You think I wouldn't know you're the reason Caroline is in this condition right now?” Ola stiffed on his chair.

“I bet you're happy now. ” My fingers began to twitch but I knew I couldn't fight in a hospital, especially not in Carol's ward.

I tried to keep my fingers clenched by my sides, but by jove, I wished it was kissing Ola's cheeks or stomach instead. And of course, I wasn't done giving him a piece of my mind.

“How can a person just be a walking disaster? Why do you destroy everything around you including yourself? Why do you cause everything around you pain?” I glared daggers at him, hoping he turns around and look me in the eyes.

“Why can't you just leave us alone? Haven't you done enough? Your presence alone is suffocating! How do you live with yourself? Aren't you tired? Is it until she takes her last breath you'd be satisfied? Hasn't she suffered enough? You're nothing but a-”

“Stop!” Ola broke, his voice laced with hurt and pain I definitely wouldn't have recognised it as his if he wasn't in front of me.

“Just... stop!” he turned slowly and when his eyes met mine, all anger fizzled out and so did my words.

In my entire life, I never thought I'd ever see Ola dejected, broken or full of regret about anything.

Ola had successfully convinced everyone that his heart was made of stone, well, up until now... so watching his invincible facade of stoneheartedness crack and slip in front of me was enough to make me stagger backwards.

“I know I acted like I was totally disgusted by Carol's existence, but I would never physically hurt her.” His reddening eyes bored holes through mine but I held his gaze.

“And I own a unicorn. ” I snickered. Memories of how Ola has physically abused me and those around me made it harder for me to believe him. Did he think I was a fool?
“And even though you may be stupid, you should know by now that I'm not.”

“Wtf do you mean?” He stared at me in confusion.

“You didn't have to physically hurt her! I knew you said something to her in that office that drove her to the edge and made her ever consider hurting herself.”

“I-I didn't mean to, believe me...I-”

“And for what? So you can have one extra person to bully and make fun of? You've done worse times before Ola so why the sudden act of self righteousness?”

His eyes flung shut, with trembling fingers clinging on to Carol's bedsheet like his life depended on it.

I knew I had struck a nerve the moment he opened his eyes. Unfortunately, Ola barely lasted for a minute before he switched back to his default state. At that moment I came to the conclusion that he was bipolar.

“You know nothing about me, Thompson.” His voice was icy, piercing through the silence down my spine in violent surges that I had to suppress a shiver.

Ola's eyes were empty and void of life and for the first time, I was taken aback not because I was terrified of him, but because I knew I wouldn't dare venture into the lonely, dangerous streets of his mind alone. His eyes seemed like a forbidden entrance to a dark place, like those forlorn streets mother always warned us to stay away from.

“I don't think I want to know...” I shook my head warily. Suddenly the room felt too small and all I wanted to do was leave, but my feet didn't seem to get the memo my brain was trying to pass.

“I never said you had an option.” came Ola's pointed reply.

“Sit." He gestured towards the chair next to him.

Did I say gestured? He literally commanded me because he could. What a jerk!

Well, you should know by now that I'm not one to be bossed around just because. Which is pretty ironic because I literally spent most of my secondary school days being bossed around and bullied.

Doesn't mean I'd let him do it again.

“No thank you, and bye.” I turned towards the door, only to feel a large hand yank me hard and slam my bony bottom on the chair.

“Jesus Christ!” I massaged my aching butt.
“Do you always have to be so violent???”

“Well, you didn't seem ready to have it the easy way.” He rolled his eyes.

The awkward silence that followed was so heavy I could feel it on my skin.
“Now what?”

“Now you listen.” Ola replied a breath after.

“Before I begin, I just want to make it clear that I'm not telling you this because I need your pity.” He started.

“And I'm not listening to this of my own volition so that makes two of us.” I retorted.

“Whatever.”

I sighed, knowing I wasn't even ready to get into a squabble with Ola of all people.

I suddenly felt nervous, definitely unprepared for the paradigm shift that would hit me afterwards.