Honey eyes

I wasn't ready for what I saw begin the book.

Carol's tears and snot stained face hit me in the gut and I couldn't help the overwhelming feeling of sympathy that consumed me. I was even less prepared for what happened next.

Carol barely blinked and in an instant, her expression transformed from that of someone having a mental and emotional breakdown to a more neutral, almost blank expression, gently wiping the almost dried tears and snot on her face and nose with a tissue.

I was stunned to say the least. I opened my mouth and no words seem to formed on my lips. Carol, after waiting for me to speak and me being tongue-tied, rolled her eyes, saying.

“What do you want? Or are you just going to sit there gaping at me like a fish out of water?”

Wait, what?

So Carol was not sounding like some timid girl who doesn't know how to stand up for herself. I was sort of...impressed. If I was the one, I'd have begun a fresh round of tears if someone had found me crying.

Her voice was deep and melodic, almost too mature for a teenage girl. Sparing me a wary glance, she rose to her feet, returning the book to the spot on the shelf where she retrieved it from, then began to walk away.

“Hey, wait!” I hissed, scrambling to my feet. Her long legs already landed her at the entrance of the library way before I could navigate through to the front desk. I jogged briskly in order to catch up with her, panting as I did.

Walking side by side with her, I observed she stood a head taller than me, resulting to me barely reaching her neck. I felt a little bit insecure walking beside her because she was taller than I was. It was intimidating and at the same time challenging.

I'd already assumed she was older than me.
I stole a sideways glance at Carol who hadn't said another word since we left the library. I decided to introduce myself.

“So...My name is—”

“I know your name, Tom.” Carol replied, her eyes focused on the path in front of her.

I tucked my hands into my pockets to hide my twitching fingers. I wonder what else she knew about me.

Oh no.

What if she'd heard about my history of being...bullied? I swallowed. That would probably make things a little awkward. This was one time I prayed my name hadn't gone ahead of me.

“Um... so... where are you headed since, you know... you can't really go back to class now?”

I asked, trying to shift the focus from me. I was not a fan of extra attention. Well much to my chagrin, I got that in full doses from those who I'd rather be invisible to.

Well, up until now.

I spared Carol a furtive glance, wondering why she hadn't said anything or at least, showed a sign that she'd heard me at all? Was she annoyed by my presence? Maybe I should just leave her alone. I'd rather not be a bother to anyone. But all I was offering was my acquaintenceship and if possible, even friendship.

I just didn't want her to be that girl who was bullied and was all alone.
I didn't want her to be like me.
She had feelings too and deserved to have someone who cared and so far, that someone only happened to be me.

Gosh, that came out wrong.

Carol suddenly stopped, turning to face me with a force that made her braids whip across her face.

“Look, if you're trying to be all friendly with me because I look pathetic or because everyone in this dingy school hates me, forget it. I don't need your pathetic friendship. ”