Infected

Paramont High school's Music club was organising a concert in a few weeks and it had been the talk of the school. The announcement was made today at school and soon after, the flyers and banners were already seen flying around.

We haf just finished writing our Unified Tertiary Matriculation Exams (UTME) in our various centres, so the upcoming concert was looked forward to with enthusiasm.
This year's concert was rumoured to be special and the auditions for the school's band were to begin on Friday after school.

Normally I wouldn't care less about the auditions, but then Sheilagh announced she was going to be auditioning on the school's social media, so automatically found myself beginning to care.

I didn't know she could sing and that new discovery only heightened my admiration for her. The auditions would be pretty hot this year, in Sheilagh's words, not mine.
The lead singer of the school's band graduated last year so there was an extra slot which meant an opportunity to be in the spotlight.

“I'm going for the lead role, Tom and I know I'll get it!” Sheilagh gushed as we talked on our way to class after the assembly.

“You should, I know you can.” I assured her. It was a delight watching her get so excited about what she loved. Her caramel eyes sparkled with joy, her smile was all teeth and her laughter was melodic. 

I swallowed in desire. Who wouldn't see this and not fall deep for someone as full of life as Sheilagh? She may not be svelte like the models on magazine covers, but she's beautiful in her own unique, special way.

“...There are even whispers going around school that there'd be a guest artiste coming, like how cool is that? Imagine I get noticed by the artiste and getting free mentorship, or even getting signed OMG I can't wait...”

 I watched her ramble on and on about the upcoming concert until the day's lecture began. 

Thankfully, everyone's mind had been on the mock exams before our WAEC exams so not much energy was left for picking on Carol and I. There were still the occasional, “cow girl” and “scare crow” references, but nothing as extreme as the last garbage stunt. In reality, school was actually bearable this period.

Our social lives were still within the 1 to -1 range but we weren't too bothered about it. Though Carol still kept to herself and still kept her special notebook hidden from eyesight, she seemed to warm up to me, to some extent.

It was free period and Carol and I were in the library, studying. Suddenly she spoke.
“So I heard about a music concert.”
My head snapped up suddenly as I saw a thoughtful look on her face.

“Yeah, 1st of March. Just the day after our mock exams are over.”
I replied, my eyes still trained on my books.

“I also heard...that there's a free slot for the lead role.”

I froze.

Oh no. Nonononono

“I'm considering going for the audition.” Carol said, her eyes questioning like she was seeking for my opinion.

She took in my astonished face and added. 

“Come on Tom, think of what changes it'd make, especially when I get the role. ” She seemed so confident she'd get it.

Not that I'm saying she wouldn't, but come on. What are the chances of her getting the lead role, or any role at all?

 “People may even begin to see and treat me better, you know.” She added quietly.

Before I could stop myself, I scoffed.

“Yeah? The only change I forsee would be unnecessary attention, giving people more trash to say about you. Because if you get that role and you happen to be really good at it, others are going to get envious, and they'd start picking on you even more. ”