Behind the scars

Seconds felt like hours as my curious eyes bore into Ola's dark and dangerous pair.

“I wasn't always a monster, Tom.” Ola finally broke the silence.

At least he knew he was a monster.
“What happened then?” I asked. “What turned you into this...monster?”

Come on, it wasn't an insult. He was the one who called himself a monster first.

“The man who raised me, who you know as my father, Seyi Badmus... is a pychopath.”

“Pft, you don't have to tell me.” I scoffed. “He's after my life and that of my family, remember?”

“Of course. How could I forget?” Came Ola's sarcastic reply.

“Right....” My mind replayed Ola's statement over and over. What did he mean by the man who raised him? Does that mean...

“Wait...Seyi Badmus is not your father?”
My eyes went wide in realisation.

“What?” Ola scrunched his face in confusion. “Of course he is.”

“But you just said–”

“I know what I said, Tom. He's my father but...it never felt like it. I never felt loved by him. Not even once.” He clenched his teeth, forcing the words out of his mouth like they were too heavy to speak.

I fidgeted awkwardly on my seat, not knowing what to say or do. We both know I'm terrible at consoling people.

“My father was absent when I was born and...well Miss Julieta...was... somewhat always occupied. So let's just say I was raised by tutors and nannies.”

Miss julieta? I wonder who that is...

“Who's Miss Julieta? Is she your mum?”

“Ew, no. That bitch could never birth me.” Ola spatted bitterly.

Now I was getting really curious.
“What's your deal with this Miss Julieta? You seem to hate her.”

“I don't ‘seem’ to hate her, I hate her with every fibre of my being.” Ola seethed, the vein along his scar pulsing in display.

I swallowed. Okay, maybe I shouldn't have asked. But of course, the curious cat in me could not be still.

“So... where's your mum?”

“Oh, my mum? She's dead.” He shrugged nonchalantly, reclining in his seat like he just said something as casual as ‘Get me a cup of coffee.’

How psycopathic could Ola get?

“Well, after my mum died, my dad brought in his mistress, Miss Julieta and...it had been hell since then...” Ola scrunched his eyes tight.

“Miss Juileta seemed sweet and nice at first, and I was naïve to think that she was a perfect replacement for my mum.” Ola's fingers began to twitch.

“My mum was... amazing. She was strict and a little brutal, but it was all for my good... although I realized that a little too late.” He sighed.

“I'm So-”

“Don't...even think about it.” Ola said, waving my apology off with a dose of his signature condescending stare.

“A-hem, okay...” came my awkward response.

“Miss Julieta seemed to be everything my mother was not...Cool and sexy, you know.”

“We would hang out together, go on trips together, damn she even introduced me to coke."