A thread of Hope

Dad.

I hadn't heard from him since our dinner at Kelly's Lounge.

A feeling of apprehension washed over me at the sound of my father's voice. I was both happy to hear from him and wary at the same time. Unfortunately, I couldn't hide the wariness from reflecting in my voice.

'Dad...are you okay?'

His voice rumbled through the speaker as he chuckled softly.

'Tom...still the caring son I remember.'

I didn't miss the hint of tiredness embedded in his every word. Even his laughter felt weak, almost forced. I tried to quell the unsettling feeling bubbling from the pit of my stomach, but somehow... Somehow all it did was grow.

'Dad...' My voice quivered.

'I miss you and your mother so much.' Dad's voice came out softer than before. His breathing started to grow more rapid and the next words I heard nearly knocked me off my feet.
'I don't think I can do this anymore, Tom.'

All alarms went off in my head when he suddenly broke into nerve-wracking sobs.

Dad was giving up. I've heard him cry just once before and that was the day Mum and I left. That day was as fresh as dew in my mind.

Mum with eyes filled with un-shed tears, was dragging our luggages with one hand and pulling me, who was also crying, with her other hand. Dad was following us, crawling on his knees, begging Mum to stay.

I remembered the heartwrenching look on his tear-streaked face after Mum kicked him off when he held onto her legs in attempt to prevent her from walking out of the front door. I remembered screaming, struggling out of mum's iron grip to no avail as she slammed the door shut after us.

Hearing Dad cry again was enough proof for me that my father's grip on hope was barely as thin as a tailor's thread. Him opening up to me concerning his insecurities also threw my mind off balance.

Dad had always been my hero. He never lets me see him when he's weak and tired and on the verge of giving up. The reality of watching all what dad had worked for crumble to the ground, caused tears to well up in my eyes and before long, I was crying too.

'Dad, we're so close...we can't give up now...' I said in tears. 'What about us? We can't just give up...' I was already a sobbing mess an I could barely speak. What could I do to help dad? He was obviously in despair and I felt helpless.

'Tom, you don't understand. It's my life or yours and your mum's. I can't push any further or my cover will be completely blown and if that happens... ' Dad sighed, 'we'd all be dead.'

Goosebumps covered every inch of my skin at dad's words. I was starting to feel panic rise up in my chest. What if they already knew Dad was still alive? It was a huge possibility that sent shivers down my bones.

Dad was afraid, for his life and for mine and mother's. I was as well, but from the information I've gathered about these people, they were brutal. There was no mercy in their dictionary and nothing would stop them from taking us out even if we stop now.

'Then what? Dad, do you think they'd ever let us live in peace? They'd still come after us!' I cried out. 'Dad please, I...we can't just quit... Not now.'

I wouldn't lie to myself that I wasn't scared of the future, but I was willing to fight, to try at least. The meeting with Principal Peters had given me newfound courage to fight for the truth, but with Dad loosing hope, what could I possibly achieve on my own?

'I think I might have something that would help. ' I heard myself saying. What did I really have? Pictures of the letters and contract I had taken a while back which may not even be relevant? As much as I wanted to help Dad, I also didn't want to give him false hopes but if this gets him working again, I guess it's worth the shot.

'Tom, you're not listening...'

'Dad, really just hear me out, please.' I pleaded in desperation, going on to tell him about the letter I'd seen in the principal's office. I also told him about the contract and he was so silent all through the time I spoke that I was starting to wonder if he was still on the line.

'Dad? Are still there?' I asked in curiosity.

I heard him clear his throat.
'Yes, son. I was just... listening.' He paused briefly before speaking up again. 'Do you happen to have a copy of these documents you're telling me about?'

'Yes, Dad. I was able to take some photos of them.'

I heard Dad sigh, probably relieved. 'Perfect. Such a smart young man.'

My heart swelled at father's words and although he couldn't see me, I smiled.
'So do I send them to your email?' I suggested.

'No!' Dad immediately replied and I was startled at the urgency in his voice.
'I'm sorry, Tom. It's just that it will be risky business because my email account would probably be under surveillance. They already suspect I might be alive.'

Brief silence followed Dad's words.
'Then what do we do?'

'I'd let you know, I have to put some measures in place before you send them.'

'Okay, Dad.' I slowly lowered myself on my bed. I was not evening aware I had been standing since Dad's call came in.

'Take care of yourself and your mother for me, okay?' Dad asked quietly.

I nodded, my voice seemed to be stuck in my throat.

I was finally ably to muster a reply when I realized he couldn't see me.
'Okay.'

'I love you, Son.'

I felt my eyes tear up again and I shut it tight. I never liked goodbyes.
'I love you too, Dad. '

'Oh, and Tom? Don't save this number or try to call me. I placed this call through a burner phone.'

The call ended before I could give a reply.
My phone beeped, signifying the end of the call. I let my phone drop from my hand onto the bed, releasing a shaky breath. The next minute I was sprawled on my bed, letting all the pent up emotions escape me in tears.

》》》

Word count: 1078 words