The Day Mother Cried

“Pack up, We are leaving.”

Mother's words left me dumbfounded beyond my senses as I tried to process them.

Leaving? Why? Did this have something to do with why we left Lagos in the first place? If it did, why would we want to run away again?

Mother sprung up from the bed, sprinting to her wardrobe and was in the process of folding her clothes into a luggage when she looked at me with fear in her eyes.

“Don't just sit there, go get your things!” Mother commanded with eyes full of terror.

I stumbled up, bewildered. I had so many questions and they were choking me, trying to force it's way out of my throat. I couldn't be in the dark any longer.

I needed to fully understand what was going on. We couldn't just pack up and leave. As much as I'd like to start afresh, away from the world of bullying and being a social recluse, It still felt wrong. All of it.

“Mum, what's going on? Why are we—”
“This is not the time for questions Tom!” Mother cried out, her voice breaking with every word she spoke.

I didn't move an inch. Mother wasn't being rational at all and I had to make her see that, whether she would listen or not. At this point, I knew mother didn't need an obedient son. She needed someone to make her see beyond the fear crippling the courage and strength to fight in her heart.

“We've done this before mum. We've tried to run away from our problems but all it caused us was pain. Why do yoi think it's best for us to pack our bags and run away again?” I questioned, my voice laced with anger and fear of the unknown.

Silence filled the room as my last words were left hanging, unanswered. Mum stood still, her back turned towards me.
I swallowed the fear crawling up my throat.

'Aren't you tired of running, mum? How far can we run before fate catches up with us?'
Mum slowly turned with her eyes closed, tears trickled down her face as she slid onto the tiled floor, pulling at her hair.

I stood awkwardly, unsure of how to respond to my mum's sudden outburst.

Blinking back the tears that tried to escape from my eyes, I wondered what could have happened to break mum and turn her into this confused, blubbering mess.

Mum had always been a strong woman and I was accustomed to seeing her as that alone. I'd seen her cry just once and that was when we were in the bus, on our way to Kogi— the day we left dad. Watching her crumble like this was a disheartening sight which left me with the question.

Who was Seyi Badmus and why do people tremble at the mention of his name?

I stalked towards mum, fully aware she was very sensitive at the moment and any move I made would be like walking on eggshells.

Slowly, I lowered myself in front of her crumpled form on the floor, tears still spilling from her eyes as she sobbed.
With shaking hands, I attempted to wrap my arms around her to comfort her but she resisted, holding out her hands to keep me away. I felt a tug in my heart, but I knew mother. This was her trying to be a rock. Strong, firm and bold.

“Don't worry son, I'm—” , she sniffed, biting back tears. “I'm okay. I'm sorry about that.”
I felt my heart break as I watched her hold back her emotions, tratious tears slipping down from my own eyes.

It was an internal battle she was losing and I just wished she would pull down the hard exterior she erected since we left Dad. I just wished she would let herself feel and not try to lock it in until it consumed her whole, causing her to break.

Like right now.

I didn't tell her any of this though. All I did was mutter soothing words.

“It's okay mum, please stop crying,”