hot cross buns

1.o1

"𝐖𝐇𝐎 𝐂𝐀𝐍 𝐓𝐄𝐋𝐋 𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 name of the voyager who made three trips across the Atlantic and claimed land in the name of France?" Mrs

"𝐖𝐇𝐎 𝐂𝐀𝐍 𝐓𝐄𝐋𝐋 𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 name of the voyager who made three trips across the Atlantic and claimed land in the name of France?" Mrs. Amren asked, her voice firm and sweet. Her hazel eyes scanned the students, black hair in ringlets that flowed down her shoulders gracefully. She adorned a loose shirt, teal cardigan, and checkered pants. She was one of the youngest teachers in the school.

Jaques Cartier, Nini thought to herself, her eyes cast downwards to the sticky note she was doodling on with her cheek in the palm of her hand. She remembered all this the first time around, and she really was only in school because Rai feared the girl would get taken from her by Child Services. It would be strange if a sixteen-year-old wasn't in school.

The classroom was dead silent. Mrs. Amren blinked at her students for a moment before a long sigh past her painted pink lips and her shoulders dropped. "C'mon, guys. Jaques Cartier."

History was the last class of the day. Students were either over the top excited or so tired they didn't even want to talk to each other. Even though it was the Friday before the two week break they were given in March, it seemed to be the former.

Nini did feel bad for Mrs. Amren, though. She tried her best everyday, and seemed to have a real passion for her subject. Her age caused students not to respect her as much as the older teachers, and the other teachers looked down on her. Mrs. Amren didn't deserve that.

The woman sighed, waving her hand dismissively. "All right, bell should ring any second now. Gather up your stuff and put your books back on the shelf, please."

Placing her pen and sticky notes back in her backpack, Nini slid her history book off her designated desk. Chatter floated through the room as all the students cluttered to the back, where the shelf their books rested when they weren't in use.

She eventually dropped her book on the seventh period shelf. She spun around, her braids swinging around, and headed back towards her desk. She reached down and swung her bag over her shoulder. The Fallon girl stood by the door, but kept her distance from the other students cluttered around it.

Delphini Fallon had never been much of a talker in fact, she hadn't spoke a word in nearly fifteen years. Now, it seemed impossible, but Nini was a very adamant girl. Besides, there was no way a twenty-eight year old woman trapped in her sixteen-year-old body wanted to interact much with a bunch of teenagers anyway. Part of her found their immature jokes amusing and their basic lack of adult life bittersweet.

The bell rang out shrilly in the hall, the bundle of students immediately flooding into the crowd outside of the history room. Nini managed to remain practically unseen in the sea of students that clambered about the hall, loud thoughts sending sharp jabs of pain through her head.

Warm sunlight encased her as she inhaled the sweet spring air once she made it out the doors. She brought her arm up, humming as her eyes flickered to her watch.

Nini set off down the sidewalk to the right, glancing over her shoulder ever so often. Rai taught her to always be cautious you never knew if someone was following you. Rai was a paranoid person, mostly because of her upbringing, and rubbed part of it off on Nini.

After a few blocks of walking, Nini stopped in front of an apartment building. It was slightly run down, with peeling paint on the shutters and chips of the brick coming off. She paid it no mind as she slipped into the building.

Finding the stairs, she bounced up the steps with a small grin. Nini stopped on the second floor and milled down the hall, pausing at the third door. She raised her fist and rapped it gently against the door in a pattern, before backing away.

The door opened after a few moments, revealing a woman who stood at Nini's height with brown hair, fair skin, and soft brown eyes. She gave the girl outside her door a gentle smile. "Hey, Nini, come in, come in."

"Hi, Vanya." Nini had the ability of telepathy, able to crawl through someone's darkest thoughts or memories. She didn't do it often she would just speak in their mind and leave the rest be, but only if they knew of her abilities. Sometimes she would loose control, like in cluttered crowds.

"How was your day at school?" Vanya asked as they shifted further into her apartment. It was small and cozy, filled with mute colors and few personal items.

Vanya was Rai's sister. They both had a troubled childhood being raised by "eccentric billionaire and adventurer" Reginald Hargreeves, Vanya arguably more than Rai. The two sisters were the only Hargreeves siblings still in contact as far as Nini knew though, when Vanya published her book, Extra-Ordinary: My Life as Number Seven, Rai refused to speak to the woman for several months.

Nini liked the book; the secrets, the drama. She never out-right said it to Rai. She didn't have a death wish quite yet.

Rai used to speak with Diego, who she said was her favorite brother besides Klaus and the deceased one Ben. They fell out of touch after Rai fazed out her vigilante desires and the accident. Nini never spoke to him and she was pretty sure he didn't know about her in Rai's life, unless the older woman mentioned it in passing.

"Same as always. Stuff I already knew," She replied as she set her bag down near the end of the couch. "What are we doin' today?"

"Keep working on the song from last week," Vanya stated as she flipped open her violin case. She watched curiously, amazment never ceased by the delicate instrument. Vanya looked at her as she handed over the bow. "You remember?"

Nini gave a firm nod and gingerly took the bow. The violin landed in her hands next, being tucked safely under her chin. She had always been gentle with the instrument, especially since it wasn't hers and didn't have the money to buy Vanya another if she broke this one. Her amber eyes flickered to Vanya for assurance. Once Vanya nodded, Nini brought the bow up to the delicate strings.

The first note of Hot Cross Buns floated through the air, followed by a hesitant but beautiful melody.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ───────  · ·