duck

1.12

"𝐈 𝐌𝐄𝐀𝐍, 𝐃𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘 think Mom would hurt Dad?" Vanya questioned meakly as the tape of their father's death played for the sixth or seventh time

"𝐈 𝐌𝐄𝐀𝐍, 𝐃𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘 think Mom would hurt Dad?" Vanya questioned meakly as the tape of their father's death played for the sixth or seventh time. Nini was sitting quietly on the couch, watching them all curiously. All the siblings had shown up except Five.

"You haven't been home in a long time, Vanya." Luther said. "Maybe you don't know Grace anymore."

"If he was poisoned," Diego spoke up, "it would have shown up in the coroner's report."

"Well, I don't need a report to tell me what I can see with my own eyes."

"Maybe all that low gravity in space messed wiyh your vision." Diego antagonized. He pressed a button on the TV. "Look closer. Dad has his monocle. Mom stands up. Monocle's gone."

Klaus chuckled, "Oh, yeah!"

"She wasn't poisioning him. She was..." Diego paused in thought, "taking it. To clean it."

"Then where is it?" Luther questioned. "No, I've searched the house, including all her things. She doesn't have it."

Diego lowered his head and Nini looked in his consciousness for a split second. She saw him throw the monocle into the harbor. Diego just shrugged at his brother. "That's because I took it from her. After the funeral."

"You've had the monocle this whole time? What the hell, Diego?" Allison snapped. Nini was having a hard time understanding the monocle was so important. Did it hold money value or was it a momento?

"Give it to me." Luther demanded as he stuck a large hand out. Rai scoffed and rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I threw it away." Diego explained.

"You what?" Luther asked angrily, Allison scoffing.

"Look, I knew that if you found it on Mom, you'd lose your shit, just like you're doing right now." Diego explains, pointing one of his sharp knives at the behemoth of a man.

"Good on you, Diegs." Rai said as she pat his shoulder in support. She moved to sit behind him on the back of the couch, close to Nini.

"Diego, you son of a bitch." Luther spat, the brothers getting posted up for a fight. Nini was intrigued now. Round two, motherfuckers.

A grin spread across the girls face as Vanya stepped in to stop them. "Hey. No. Calm down. Look, I know Dad wasn't exactly an open book. But, I do remember one thing he said. Mom was, well, designed to be a caretaker, but... also as a protector."

"What does that mean?"

"She was programmed to intervene if someone's life was in jeopardy." Vanya stated, and Nini felt as though that would cause more problems than solutions.