we're alone now

1.o3

𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐈 𝐅𝐎𝐋𝐋𝐎𝐖𝐄𝐃 𝐑𝐀𝐈 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐎 her room, she paused outside of Vanya's

𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐈 𝐅𝐎𝐋𝐋𝐎𝐖𝐄𝐃 𝐑𝐀𝐈 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐎 her room, she paused outside of Vanya's. Rai could use a few minutes to cool off, anyway. Nini stood quietly in the door way, waiting to be invited in. The soft woman glanced up and smiled, "You can come in, Nini."

The girl smiled and stepped into the room. It was the smallest of all the siblings, that much was obvious. The walls were bland, she had a mirror with three pictures from her younger days on it. One was Vanya and Rai when they were younger, Vanya and Ben, then the last one was Vanya, Ben, Rai, and the missing boy, Five, all squeezed into the frame. The walls were bland and devoid of color. The bed was only a mattress, no sheets and one pillow.

What intrigued Nini most was the keyboard against the wall. She shifted over to it with a gentle smile, "You play?"

"A long time ago," Nini told her, starting a gentle tune, "I didn't know you did."

"Not really," Vanya hummed, enjoying the song so far. She thought Nini played beautifully, "Violin was more my thing..."

Nini paused her delicate fingers, and spun to look at Vanya, "I should go check on Rai. I'll see you later, Vonnie."

She pecked her on the cheek and left her be, glancing around for Rai's room. It was only next door to Vanya's, so it wasn't that hard. Rai was sitting on her bed, elbows on her knees and hands cupped in feon of her. Nini stood quiet for a moment, before entering the threshold and sinking on the bed next to her. She placed a soft hand on her shoulder in support.

Rai's room was bigger than Vanya's, only by a little. There were blue curtains on one window and pink ones on a different one. There were colorful murals on the walls with funky decorations. Nothing matched, but it all seemed to go together. This was how Nini imagined their apartment should be.

Her vanity was across from them. There was forgotten makeup, paint, jewlery notbooks, magazines, trinkets scattered across the desk. Pictures were stuck under the rim, and Nini could recognize that there was at least one picture of each sibling there. The one that stuck out most was a younger Rai with a little girl that looked similar to her the same copy was in her room at home.

Rai was different from the other Hargreeves'. Unlike them being raised by Reginald since babies, Rai didn't come to the Umbrella Academy until she was ten. She'd grown up with her physically and mentally abusive parents who hated her becase she was different. Eventually she ended up here, and the only thing Rai missed from her old home was her baby sister, Emi. Rai hadn't seen her since she was ten.

Even if her name was Hargreeves, she wasn't really one of them. She was more of a friend, living in their home.

Nini averted her attention to her best friend as she sucked in a breath and sat up straight. Rai looked at the girl beside her and smiled slightly. She held out her hand gently, "I want you to have this, Nini. It's important to me, and you'll take care of it, I know you will."

"What is it?"

Rai uncurled her fingers to reveal a dainty silver heart necklace, "Ben and I snuck out one night and I saw it in a shop window, said how pretty it was. A few days later he surprised me with it, and he told me he loved me for the first time... I want you to have it."

"Are you sure?" Nini questioned softly.

The older woman nodded with a smile, "He would've liked you... here, let me put it on you."

Nini smiled softly and moved her braids out of the way. Rai clasped it and it fell in the middle of her chest. Nini looked at her, "Thank you, Rai. I'll take care of it."

"I know you will," she looked at the necklace sadly, "I miss him so much..."

Nini pulled her in and placed Rai's head on her shoulder, wrapping her arms around the girl to comfort her. Rai had let her see the memories of Ben most of them. Nini knew his death devastated Rai. She wished to take the pain. Though, she knew the pain lessened as more and more time pased. Nini was greatful to see her friend heal.

Music began floating through the walls. The duo both raised their heads as the familiar beat floated through the air. Nini laughed at the memories of the song, Rai used to blast this song all the time.

"Children behave
that's what they say when we're together,"

Nini stood abruptly and dragged Rai up with her. They both stood and faced each other with deadpan looks.

"And watch how you play,
they don't understand and so we're — "

As the beat dropped, Rai and Nini busted out their dance moves. Rai was singing loudly and happily as she waved her arms above her head. Nini laughed with a wide smile as she did her funky moves.

" — runnin' just as fast as we can,
holdin' onto one another's hand,
tryin' to get away into the night
and then you put your arms around me — "

Nini put her back to Rai and held her hands, swaying against her with a laugh.

" — and we tumble to the ground
and then you say,
I think we're alone now,
there doesn't seem to be anyone around
I think we're alone now
the beating of our hearts is the only sound — "

Nini laughed joyously as Rai spun her around, the the girl turned and did the same thing. They jumped and twirled and swayed their hips to the beat. Nini scrunched her nose with a wide grin on her face.

" — look at the way
we gotta hide what we're doin'
'cause what would they say
if they ever knew and so we're
runnin' just as fast as we can,
holdin' onto one another's hand,
tryin' to get away into the night
and then you put your arms around me
and then we tumble to the ground
and then you say — "

Her chest heaved at the extraneous movements, but she was having too much fun. Her and Rai would dance around their apartment on occasion, but they hadn't done it in a while. Rai spun her again and laughed.

" — I think we're alone now
there doesn't seem to be anyone around
I think we're alone now
the beating of our hearts is the only sound
I think we're alone now
there doesn't seem to be anyone around
I think we're alone now
the beating of our hearts is the only sound — "

The music cut of abruptly, Nini immediately stopping and looking outside as thunder suddenly rumbled outside.

· · ─────── · 𖥸· ─────── · ·