three

NIGHT HAD FALLEN once more on the island, and the three teens were driving back to Sarah's vacation home

NIGHT HAD FALLEN once more on the island, and the three teens were driving back to Sarah's vacation home. Only this time, they had Cleo, Tubbs, and Terrance hidden in the back. Jo was situated in the back seat per usual with Sarah riding shotgun, but Jo could practically feel the anger radiating off her.

"You lied," Sarah snapped, glancing at John B. She held a mixture of betrayal, sadness, and anger in her eyes and Jo felt guilt swirl in her stomach.

"Actually, he didn't," Jo sighed. "I was the one who went to your family's house and John B just followed me."

"Okay, so you still lied," Sarah stated.

"I didn't, I swear," John B said. "I was just making sure she didn't get herself killed."

"Yeah right," Sarah scoffed. "We all know you wanted to go."

"She's got you there," Jo muttered, patting John B's shoulder.

"You both promised!" Sarah yelled in irritation, turning to face Jo.

"I didn't promise you anything," Jo shrugged. "Besides, I am known to get myself in trouble."

"You're lucky you didn't get shot!" Sarah cried. "Or worse, caught and arrested."

"C'mon. I wouldn't have let that happen," John B said with a shake of his head.

Sarah scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Is the gold even there?"

"Uhh, I think so," John B replied unsurely.

Sarah raised her eyebrows. "You think?"

"Smooth," Jo murmured. "Look, we found a safe. A huge one, that wasn't there before. There's marks on the floor from it being dragged in, and it's locked. It's gotta be in there."

"It better be," Sarah huffed. "If this falls through, I'll turn you two in myself."

"Ouch," Jo pouted.

Silence hung over them as John B pulled the truck up to the front gate. There was a small booth with a security guard inside, who was talking quickly to someone on the phone. He seemed stressed and not all too focused on them, so Jo hoped they would be able to slide through without problems.

"Hey, I'm actually just coming to pick up my leaf blower," John B said. "From um..."

"Bay line," Sarah whispered. She looked away from the guard and pretended to occupy herself with something else. Jo followed her lead and ducked down so that no one could see her.

"Bay line," John B repeated. "I do a lot of work over there."

"Yep, go ahead," the security guard nodded.

"Thank you," John B said. He flashed a smile and put the truck into drive again. Jo let out a breath and sat up as they drove through the gate and parked outside of the house.