eighteen

JO'S EARS WERE ringing loudly as she pried her eyes open

JO'S EARS WERE ringing loudly as she pried her eyes open. She luckily hadn't really lost consciousness, just blacked out for a minute, but JJ had still noticed. Panic jumped into his throat when he saw her eyes roll back and her head fall forward. She groaned as she looked around and spotted Pope stumbling out of the truck, prompting Kie and John B to go after him.

"Is everyone okay?" John B asked, glancing back at Sarah before redirecting his sight onto Pope. "I think so," Sarah groaned. She slowly slid out of the truck and winced.

"Jo, you're bleeding," JJ said worriedly. John B's head snapped over to his sister as she slowly brought her hand up to touch her temple. She winced as it fell to her lap, sure enough coated in blood. She shivered at the memory of Ward smacking her head against the Druthers and making it bleed; she'd had the same reaction then as well.

John B hurried over and wrenched the door open. He pressed his hand on her jaw and turned her head, his eyes full of worry as he inspected the gash.

"I'm good," Jo breathed. "Just a little sore."

"You probably have a concussion," Sarah said with a frown. "You hit your head pretty hard."

JJ jumped into action and pulled a spare bandana out of his pocket. He balled it up and handed it to John B, who gently pressed it against Jo's forehead, causing her to wince at the pressure. "Ow."

"I know it hurts," JJ murmured. "Just take it easy for a while, alright?" Jo nodded her head and sighed tiredly as she took the cloth from John B held it to her head.

"Does anything else hurt?" John B asked. His eyes darted over her body as he analyzed her and she slowly shook her head. "Not really. Just my head."

"Oh, no," Kie wailed. "My dad's truck! Noooo." She dragged out the syllable as she slumped forward defeatedly.

"One word, Kie," JJ said solemnly as he shone his flashlight on the shattered windshield. "Totaled."

"My parents are gonna a kill me," the girl whimpered as she stared at the truck in shock.

"I mean, weren't they already gonna do that?" JJ asked jokingly. Kie gave him a deadpanned look. "Very helpful, thank you, JJ." Jo rolled her eyes and smacked his arm. She had moved so her feet dangled out of the truck, but still leaned against the seat. She was worried if she tried to get up, she would black out and fall.

"We gotta walk the rest of the way," Pope spoke up suddenly. He had one arm wrapped around the other as he limped forward and Sarah stared at him incredulously. "Dude."

"Pope, we were just in a car accident," John B stated, trying to get him to understand the gravity of the situation. He rushed after the boy and grabbed his shoulders, but Pope shrugged him off. "Get out of my way," he growled.

"Pope, Jo is hurt!" JJ called. "She can't walk all the way to that damn church, bro!"

"I'll be okay," Jo assured the blonde boy. She slowly slid out of the truck, but she wobbled on her feet as her head grew dizzy. JJ frowned and grabbed her shoulders to steady her.