twelve

THINGS SEEMED LIKE they were slowly falling back into place

THINGS SEEMED LIKE they were slowly falling back into place. It was weird to Jo how easily the friend group readjusted to their normal routine, which as of lately was finding the newest lost treasure. She thought it was funny that they always seemed to be going on some sort of treasure hunt these days.

The group had dropped Pope off at the local nursing home where his grandmother now resided, and in the meantime the remaining Pogues had stopped in town. Sarah didn't waste any time in getting out of the van, asking Kie and Jo if they wanted to come with her to grab a drink. Jo could sense the tension between her and John B and figured she could use a friend, so she gave JJ a peck on the cheek and joined the other two girls as they skipped towards a store.

"Alright, fill us in," Jo hummed once they were far enough away from the boys. "What'd my brother do this time?"

Sarah chuckled lightly, but her smile didn't reach her eyes. She sighed as they walked into the shop and ordered sodas. "He's just... I dunno. He's being all weird ever since I came back with Topper." Jo nodded to show she understood and took a sip of her drink. "And I thanked him because of course I'm grateful. But that's it, you know?"

"Yeah," Kie murmured. "Pope's currently giving me the silent treatment because I'm not in love with him."

Sarah smiled and shook her head. "And they say we're the dramatic ones."

"Well, me and JJ are doing great," Jo teased awkwardly. "Aside from him stealing his cousin's ambulance and trying to break John B out of jail."

Sarah laughed loudly at that, her eyes squinting in disbelief. "Boys are weird."

"Amen," Jo agreed with a chuckle.

"Oh, uh, what was it like?" Kie asked suddenly.

"What?" Jo's brows pulled together in confusion as she stared at her friend.

"You and JJ," Kie sang. "I saw that bashful glow you two had when we all dipped after Rafe showed up."

Jo felt her cheeks growing hot and by the squeals her two friends gave, she knew she was blushing. "Was it that obvious?" Jo groaned, covering her face with her hands.

"Only a little." Sarah held her thumb and pointed finger up to demonstrate, which made Jo roll her eyes. "Took you two long enough!" Kie teased, bumping her shoulder against Jo's.

"Ugh, shut up!" She squealed.

"I'll take it you had fun then," Sarah hummed. She wiggled her eyebrows with a playful smirk on her face and as much as Jo hated their teasing, she was also glad she had friends she could talk to about it.

"We did," Jo finally admitted. "He's an idiot, but I love him."

° ° ° ° °

"I can't believe you're related to Denmark Tanny!" Jo cried as she bounced back to the deck behind Heyward's. "Holy shit, Pope."

The boy had finally returned from his meeting with his grandmother, and on the way back he dropped the news the woman had told him. Everyone was buzzing with excitement as they talked about what that meant and what it could have to do with the treasure.