eight

IT HAD BEEN almost two hours since Sarah left, and Jo was growing more and more antsy by the second

IT HAD BEEN almost two hours since Sarah left, and Jo was growing more and more antsy by the second. She had even resorted to pacing by the water, occasionally letting her hands tangle in her hair as she ran them through the brown knots.

"This was a bad idea," Jo stated. "Who let her do this? It's such a bad idea."

"Calm down," John B chuckled. "I'm the one who's dating her, not you."

Jo paused her pacing to shoot John B a glare. JJ rolled his eyes at the brunette boy and pushed himself to his feet. He sauntered over to Jo and took her hand, gently leading her over to the shade of a large nearby tree.

"Hey, Sarah knows how to take care of herself," he assured his girlfriend. "You've seen that firsthand, more than any of us." Jo sighed and reluctantly nodded her head. "Yeah," she said quietly. "I just don't want Ward to come for us."

"It's gonna be okay," JJ said, letting his hands rest on her shoulders. "Trust me." Jo threw him a teasing glance. "Like that statement has ever gotten me anywhere in the past," she mused sarcastically.

"I'm the mastermind behind it all, Princess," JJ hummed. "Yeah, the mastermind behind every disaster we find ourselves in," Pope chimed from his spot a few feet away.

JJ scrunched his face and flipped Pope off before he turned back to face Jo, who was watching him with an amused expression. She rolled her eyes and placed her hand on JJ's face, playfully pushing him away. Eventually the pair settled down under the tree, Jo with her knees pulled to her chest and her arms resting on top. She stared out at the water, trying to distract herself by admiring how beautiful the little beach was.

"So, about last night..." JJ murmured. He dared a glance over at the girl, who furrowed her brows and made a face at his statement. JJ didn't even know why he was asking; he knew that him and Jo were a sealed deal and there was no reason for him to feel insecure, but he still did. He was constantly terrified that one day Jo would wake up and realize she deserved someone better.

"Really?" Jo chuckled in shock. "You wanna talk about this now?"

"Well, when else?" JJ shrugged. "We always got some shit goin' on, might as well cut to the chase."

"Okay then," Jo drawled. She sighed and turned to face JJ, giving the boy her undivided attention. "J, last night was one of the best nights of my life," she said sincerely. "You don't know how long I've dreamt about that, especially when I was away from you in Nassau."

JJ gave her a smile and nodded. "Yeah," he whispered. "Me too."

"I don't know why you're worried," Jo teased. "There's no one else out there for me."

JJ's smile widened and he pulled the brunette into his arms. "I love you, Princess."

"Ditto," Jo giggled as JJ's breath tickled her neck.