ten

JO'S TRACK RECORD for having good ideas had never been stellar

JO'S TRACK RECORD for having good ideas had never been stellar. She was known to be reckless, ever since she was little. Maybe it was because she grew up with her father and brother's competitive nature and always felt like she had something to prove, or her realization at a young age just how short life was so she took risks to make it more interesting. She never knew for sure. However, as far as bad ideas went, this had to be up there with her worst ones.

She didn't know what she was hoping to happen here. Did she want to confront her attacker? Absolutely. Did she want to prove to him she wasn't scared anymore? Also a definite yes. However, her jellylike legs and racing heart told a different story. She was already trying to brainstorm a way out of this, but Jo was known to be stubborn. Once she committed to something she almost always saw it through, and this was no exception.

It's for John B, she told herself as she and Sarah reached the front door. The Cameron girl gave her an encouraging smile as Jo raised her fist and knocked on the door. She swallowed thickly, feeling like she was about to pass out as footsteps could be heard on the other side. It seemed like an eternity passed before the door finally swung open, and behind it was the face she had prayed to forget.

"Well, well, well," Tommy sang, a smug smirk pulling at his lips. "I have to admit, I did not see this one coming."

"So funny," Jo sassed back, making a face at the boy. As terrified as she was, she refused to let him have any more satisfaction than he already did. "I need a favor."

"This just keeps getting better and better," Tommy chuckled. His eyes were wide and filled with disbelief. Jo could barely stand the sight of him. All she wanted to do was wipe that smug smirk off his face.

"Are you done?" The girl deadpanned. She sighed and folded her arms over her chest. When Tommy made no further effort to speak, Jo nodded and continued. "I hear that your aunt has something that can exonerate John B."

"Oh, of course," Tommy drawled. He leaned against the doorframe and folded his arms across his chest. "I should've known that's what this is about. I don't know why that bitch keeps running her mouth. Your brother deserves to be where he is."

Jo glared darkly at the boy, her hands curling into fists at her sides. She moved to step forward, but Sarah latched her hand around Jo's wrist to prevent her from doing so. She quickly regained her composure and flashed a sarcastic smile.

"I didn't ask what you think," Jo hissed. "All I'm asking is for your help to free my brother."

"That's adorable," Tommy gushed. "It's cute how hard you're trying for him, really."

Jo sighed and ran a hand over her face. "Can you please just help me out?" She groaned. "I just need you to ask your aunt to come forward with the tape."

"And why would I do that?" Tommy challenged. He took a menacing step forward, his smirk ever present on his face. "What's in it for me?"

"Besides the knowledge that you did something good for a change?" Jo deadpanned.