fifteen

THE TENSION BETWEEN JJ and Jo was thick enough to cut with a knife, and everyone could feel it

THE TENSION BETWEEN JJ and Jo was thick enough to cut with a knife, and everyone could feel it. However, no one spoke on the newest couple drama as they all sauntered back to the chateau.

"Well, that was unexpected," the blonde stated once they returned home. Jo grabbed a cold beer from the cooler and tossed it to John B so he could ice his face.

"Was it?" Kie queried. She pursed her lips as she thought it over.

"Yeah," JJ agreed. "That's been brewin' for years. Rumble in the jungle." He chuckled as he pushed a marshmallow onto his stick and held it over the fire.

Jo scoffed and rolled her eyes. Even being in JJ's presence was irking her, and it was making her upset how unfazed he seemed by their argument.

"Hey. You okay?" John B nudged his sister's shoulder and she glanced at him. "I guess," she shrugged. "Those guys are douchebags," Kie muttered. "All of 'em."

"Yeah," Jo mused. She played with the stick in her hands, twirling it around. She could feel JJ staring at her and it made her skin crawl.

"What was that all about?" John B asked. "Why were you so pressed that girl was talking to me?"

Jo huffed as she stabbed the stick into the dirt at her feet. "That was Amelia," she stated.

"Amelia?" John B repeated. "Your Kook ex-best friend from middle school?"

"Yup," Jo replied, popping the P. "Guess she's an even bigger bitch than I thought she was."

"She was trying to get under your skin," Kie said, rolling her eyes. "Typical Kook."

Jo sighed as silence enveloped the group. Pope looked around, noticing how JJ and Jo were sitting on opposite sides of the fire. "Okay, are we really not going to address the elephant in the room?"

"We're not in a room," Jo mumbled, keeping her gaze on the ground.

"Whatever," Pope deadpanned. "You know what I mean. Seriously, work your shit out. It's making me uncomfortable."

Jo raised her eyebrows and bit her lip. Her heart pounded at the idea of talking to JJ right now, but she knew it was probably best if they cleared the air between them.

"I just think it's funny," JJ chuckled bitterly.

"Uh, when I said work your shit out, I didn't mean right here," Pope said. He shifted awkwardly as JJ continued.

"You're so pissed off that I slept with someone but you can go off and flirt with whoever you want," he scoffed. "What, were you trying to make me jealous?"

"Hold on, you slept with someone else?" Kie cried. "Dude, what the fuck!"

"Hey, at least I thought my girlfriend was dead!" JJ's voice rose. "We have one little fight and then what, you're just out? Talking to other guys?"