thirteen

IT WAS QUIET

IT WAS QUIET. The Pogues had returned to the chateau after witnessing Ward's destructive end, and everyone slipped back into their old routines. Jo wanted more than anything to be able to join them and go back to normal, but she just couldn't. While knowing that Ward was dead had given her a momentary relief from the weight on her shoulders, she quickly realized that him being gone didn't erase all of the trauma he caused. Her father was still dead and she was still scarred from the police evasions and life threatening situations she and John B had been put in. Sometimes when she looked back on their time before all of this started, she found it impossible to believe that there was a time that they didn't have a care in the world. She would give just about anything to go back to those days, blissfully drinking beers in half built houses and having bonfires on the beach.

"Hey." Jo turned at the sound of JJ's soft voice. He wore a muscle shirt that showcased some of his abs, which flexed as he brought a beer to his lips. The blonde boy sauntered over to her with a small smile, but she could tell he was worried about her.

"Hi," Jo whispered. Her lips automatically twitched up at the sight of him and she sighed as he wrapped his arms around her.

"You okay?" He whispered. His breath tickled her skin and sent shivers down her spine.

"I guess," Jo shrugged. She turned around to face him and pursed her lips. "I'm trying to be okay. I want to be."

"Hey, don't rush it," JJ said gently. "Healing takes time."

Jo almost laughed at his words. More specifically, who they were coming from. It was funny to her how their roles had switched. She had gone from JJ's comforter to the one who needed comforting and the boy was actually doing a surprisingly good job.

"When did you get so wise, huh?" Jo teased. JJ smirked and pecked her lips. "What can I say? I'm a changed man." Jo rolled her eyes and shoved his shoulder. "Yeah right."

They made their way out of the house and down to the dock where John B and Pope were laying in the HMS Pogue. Kie had been laying in the hammock, but when she saw the couple making their way through the yard she followed after them.

"Whatcha guys talking about?" Kie called. She held a joint between her fingers and passed it to Jo, who's eyes lit up upon seeing the drug.

"Havin' a good cry?" JJ teased, leaning his arms on the old wooden railing.

"Cry?" John B queried. He scrunched his face and shook his head. "We don't cry."

"Yeah, right," Jo laughed. "Admit it, dude. Sarah broke your little heart."

"You know it's not your fault, right?" Kie asked. She reached over and grabbed the joint back from Jo, holding it in her hand as she looked at John B.

"You think she'll come around?" He asked hopefully.

"Yeah, dude. She's one of us," Kie answered easily.