BONUS CHAPTER!

FOR ONCE, JO felt at ease

FOR ONCE, JO felt at ease. It was nice to know that they wouldn't have to run anymore — at least for a while. No more police, no more Ward, no more Kooks. Just the seven of them, scavenging for food, having beachside fires, and going swimming. Jo smiled as JJ's words on the Coastal Venture echoed in her head. She paused her search for driftwood and other fire starters to watch John B catching fish with a spear Pope had made, while JJ worked on carving knives with his own knife. Kie and Sarah were working on breaking open a coconut they'd found while Cleo was now teaching Pope how to twirl her knife. She sighed in content and dropped her kindling by the little hole they'd dug for their fire and wandered over to the blonde boy.

"Hey," she hummed. Jo lowered herself so she was sitting in the sand beside JJ, watching his strong arms flex as he chiseled away at the wood in his hands.

"Hi, Princess," JJ murmured. He stopped his actions and turned to give her a smile. They'd only been on the island for a few hours, but everyone was already feeling the heat and JJ's delicate skin was starting to twinge red under his eyes. Jo noticed over the years that was always his most sun-sensitive spot. After a long day catching waves, he almost always got burnt on his nose and just under his eyes.

"Looks like we'll be getting our surf trip after all," Jo giggled. JJ nodded excitedly and pulled her closer to him. "Hell yeah," he whispered. "Cookin' fish on a fire, telling stories, and doing whatever the hell we want." He paused to squeeze Jo's middle, resting his chin between her neck and shoulder. "Although, I hoped it would be just me and you, but we can find a time to sneak away."

His words sent chills down her spine and Jo laughed, reaching up with a free hand and pushing JJ's face away from her. "JJ!" She scolded. Her bright red face gave her away though, and it wasn't because she was sunburnt.

"What?" JJ whined. "C'mon, Princess. It'll be fun," he cooed.

Jo rolled her eyes and pushed herself to her feet. "Sure," she teased. "Help me get this fire going and then we'll talk."

JJ chuckled and bumped his shoulder against hers, smiling as he gathered a large amount of wood in his arms and dumped it beside the fire. The rest of the friends soon gathered around, sitting on logs they found in the jungle nearby and watching with anticipation as John B brushed two rocks together until a spark lit up the small pit Kie had dug. They all cheered excitedly, clapping and whistling with glee as the fire slowly spread and all the driftwood blazed yellow and orange. Jo subconsciously inched closer to JJ as a cool breeze tickled her skin and rested her head on his shoulder. He shifted so his arm was around her, pulling her as close as possible.

"Do you think we'll be here forever?" Jo wondered aloud. The question was valid – they had barely any idea where the hell they were, and it didn't seem like anyone else inhabited the little island. She knew that Pope and Kie's parents would be looking for them, but she doubted they'd look outside of the island because no one really knew the kids had left.