chapter 2

I opened my eyes slowly, my mind feeling hazy as i remembered what had happened before everything went dark. I hadn't recognized the man but he had spoken Russian and i wondered with dread if he was one of Dreykov's men, if he had taken me back to the red room. However, the room became focused and i didn't recognize it. It wasn't the red room or no place i had ever been before. Was i back in Russia? In another base? I lifted my head from the floor and looked around. I was in a small square room, completely empty apart from a bed and the walls made from glass. I stumbled to my feet and looked down at my clothes. They had taken my raggedy old t shirt and jeans ,that I had stolen to replace my widow uniform, and replaced it with a simple black outfit. On the right breast of the shirt, there was a symbol, a red skull-like thing, the same one i had seen on the man's shirt. 

I clutched urgently at my neck but was relieved to find the gold locket still hung around it. There wasn't a door that lead to the empty corridor outside. Where was I? I slammed my hand against the glass but it barely shook. I slammed my fist against it again and again and again, becoming frustrated when it barely made an impact. "Fuck!" I muttered. "Let me out!" I shouted, someone must be able to hear me. I kicked the glass with all my force but still it didn't crack. "otpustyte menia!" I shouted, a thick Russian accent coming back with the familiar language. I grunted with anger and frustration whilst giving the glass one last punch. I scanned the room looking for a vent or some way out but there was nothing.

I retreated backwards slightly and froze in my steps when i heard a laugh. My head whipped in the direction of the voice. Beyond one of the side glass walls was a boy sat in an identical cell. He lay on the bed watching me with intrigue. He was dressed in the same clothes as me. He had a chiseled face and messy stubble. His hair was messy too and looked liked an outgrown hair cut. The colour was odd, the roots brown but the majority was a blonde-silver colour. I studied his face for a while. His lips turned up at the corners, emphasizing his laugh lines and his brown eyes twinkled-he was rather beautiful. 

"They are not coming, not until they need you." He told me. He spoke in English but he had a European accent. It sounded very similar to Russian but i knew it wasn't. "Who are you?" I demanded. He sat up and answered. "Pietro Maximoff." The boy told me. "And you are?" He asked. I hesitated, in my mind I heard a grating voice whisper, 'Clara'. I almost looked over my shoulder, checking he wasn't standing right next to me but he was only in my head. The way his tongue twisted around the name filled my body with bile. "Alena, Alena Rose." I told him. Pietro stood up and walked towards the glass that separated us. "Where are you from Alena Rose?" He asked. I pondered for a moment. "Russia." I told him eventually. He furrowed his brows. "You don't look Russian." He observed. I shook my head slowly. "Well my mother was English." 

 "Ah, I am Sokovian." He said which explained the accent. I took a small step towards the glass. "And is that where i am now?" Pietro furrowed his brows slightly. "Yes," He said. Those men had taken me from Manhattan to Sokovia, how many days had it been?  "But don't you know that?" He asked. The question confused me. "You volunteered for the experiments right?" I slowly shook my head. Pietro's face screwed up into a look of confusion and curiosity. "What experiments?" I asked slowly. "The Hydra experiments." Pietro said. I looked out the glass walls and down the corridor. This place was a lab. And were they planning on experimenting on me? "So they just took you huh?" Pietro asked. I nodded. "I guess they are getting desperate for volunteers. Me and my sister are the only ones left, well apart from you now." My head snapped back towards Pietro. "Your sister?" I asked. I looked around and noticed on the other side of my cell was a third room, identical apart from a stack of blocks on the floor- the type they gave to little kids to play with. "Wanda, my twin. She isn't here right now, she was taken upstairs to the labs a couple hours ago so she will probably be down in not too long." He explained.