chapter 3

The experiments became less painful as the months went on. Well they didn't become less painful, i just became used to the pain. I started to get used to the routine of life at the Hydra base. In the morning, we were woken by the bright lights switching on. Guards then rushed in and delivered breakfast to our cells, it was usually just plain, watery porridge- something to give us energy but not pleasure- but it was better than nothing. I learnt quickly, if you didn't eat fast, you didn't eat at all. After our bowls were taken away, guards took us to the shower rooms down the hall. I would undress every morning and chuck my black clothes on a pile and then stand under the cold water. When i stepped out, a guard would hand me a set of fresh clothes and i would dress quickly. And then we were taken back to the cells before being taken up to the labs one by one. Needles, injections, blood tests, machines that beeped, machines i was strapped to, machines with millions of  dials and buttons, wires stuck to my temples but of course the stone it's self, the yellow glowing light penetrating my mind, my senses, was the worst of it. I felt weak and drained after each test. Wanda and Pietro's powers seemed to become stronger and easier controlled but still nothing changed with me. By the 6th month, the lab scientists stopped coming for them, just for me. 

Some of the tests for any enhancements consisted only of beeping machines, wires and hours of me in a chair. Others were worse. The worst set of tests by far started a few months after i arrived at the base. The stone wasn't working. No change in my chemistry. The head scientist- the horrible man who knew Dreykov- became desperate and frustrated. There was no proof, but he thought i might have developed accelerated healing.

The pain was overwhelming as they strapped me down to the chair and slashed through my skin. I would frequently be injected due to the fact i was too restless. When i eventually came around each time, my legs would ache and were sealed in casts- broken. But of course, the scientist had been wrong. I hadn't developed anything and my cuts still healed like a normal human, slowly and leaving scars. Maybe the stone wasn't going to work on me. The Scientist still had hope though as they chucked me in front of that yellow, seething light most days. Wanda and Pietro became concerned as i was practically carried back to my cell every day. But what could we do, we couldn't leave, this place was a prison. 

One day, i was walking from my cell with guards on either side of me. They pushed me down a corridor and into the room where they usually ran tests on me. There was a chair in the middle and machines that beeped like we were in a hospital. I was pleased to see the two scientists i preferred in the room.  "Sit." One said. I was wary but took a seat in the chair. A women attached wires to my head, my arms and my chest. "Alena, try and concentrate very hard on summoning energy." The man asked. I didn't really understand what he meant or how i was supposed to do that. My eyes screwed up as i desperately tried to conjure any power i may have. I knew what they would do if i was no longer useful. They wouldn't hesitate to kill me, after all, they couldn't have me out in the world, telling people what they did down here. I felt stupid as i sat in the chair and nothing happened. 

I sat there for what felt like hours as the scientists studied me and the machines. "Very curious." The man muttered. Before i could ask him what was curious, he spoke again. "Agata, please could you go collect the twins." The women nodded and left. My brows furrowed together, why would they need Pietro and Wanda. The man started to take the wires off of me and unplug the machines. "What's wrong with me?" I asked. The man sighed and looked at me. "That's the curious thing, nothing that can be seen on the machines or in your actions." My heart plummeted, so they would kill me. Maybe they were bringing the twins to say goodbye but i'm not sure they were that nice. "But i have a theory, one that i would like to test." The scientist stated. I furrowed my brows with curiosity. A few minutes later, the women, Agata, returned with guards and Wanda and Pietro. 

"Alena, What's going on?" Pietro asked. I shrugged. The guards grabbed me roughly by the shoulders and placed me in the center of the room. "I think if you just told me, i could of done that myself." I complained to the biggest and tallest guard. Out of the corner of my eye, i saw Pietro smirk slightly. The scientist muttered something in Sokovian to the guard. The guard nodded and moved towards Wanda, she didn't complain as the guard dragged her to a spot opposite me. She stood about 5 meters away from me. "Wanda." The scientist said. "I need you to use your gifts, on Alena." Pietro was the first to shout. "No!" The scientists turned to him with surprise. Wanda shook her head with a frightened expression on her face. "No, i- i can't fully control it yet, i might hurt her." She mumbled. I had seen Wanda on numerous occasions use her powers, but never on another human being. "Don't worry!" The head scientist said quickly, trying to calm the twins. "If my theory is correct, it won't hurt her at all." What was his theory? I wish someone would just explain things to me first.

Pietro and Wanda shared alarmed glances. But it soon became clearer that the scientists were set on Wanda using her powers on me. "It's ok, Wanda, i can handle it." I told her but she still looked unsure. Eventually she gave in. She planted her feet and closed her eyes, taking a deep breathe as she concentrated. Pietro's eyes flickered between me and Wanda, unsure of who he should watch. I met his eyes for a short second, just long enough for me to communicate that i was fine. When Wanda opened her eyes again, they were glowing red and the red mist, not liquid nor gas, started to spiral from her hands. "Good Wanda." The scientist encouraged. "Now just, try and lift Alena in the air." He instructed calmly. Slowly, Wanda guided her power forward. It started to swirl around my body and i prepared for something to happen. I could see confusion and strain on Wanda's face as she urged her power on. It was surrounding me but nothing was happening. I looked down at myself and at Wanda with confusion. The scientists in the room watched with wide eyes. "Ok, that's enough." The scientist instructed. Wanda huffed, her eyes returning to the brown colour as she stared at her hands with a baffled expression. Agata scribbled notes on her clipboard. 

"What just happened?" Wanda asked, but no one replied. The scientists were huddled in a group, whispering rapidly. Pietro came to my side quickly. "Your ok?" He asked. He hesitated for a split second before placing a hand on my arm. It felt odd and i felt the need to shrug it off, but i didn't.  "Ye, i'm ok." I told him. Pietro turned to talk to Wanda. "What just happened?" He asked, urgently. Wanda shook her head in disbelief, still staring at her hands. "I, I don't know. It has never not worked before." She said. Her eyeline lifted to mine as she stared at me as if i was a peculiar creature. The scientists finally turned around, scribbling a few more notes and then addressing us. The head scientist walked up to me slowly, wonder in his eyes. His eyes studied me. I flinched slightly as his hands gripped my shoulders, Pietro took another step closer to me as if he was ready to jump between us. "Magnificent." the scientist muttered. He slowly started to smile and the smile turned into a laugh. He cackled with happiness like he had just found a pile of gold. "Absolutely incredible!" He announced. "What is?" Pietro snapped. The scientist turned to him with a slight look of startle like he had forgotten he was there. "This girl!" I furrowed my brows, wishing someone would just explain what was going on. The man turned back to me and beamed at me. "You, my girl, a shield!"