chapter 9

Alarms blared. Faint screams echoed around the walls. Voices shouted. I woke with a start and soon after Wanda and Pietro were awake with their hands pressed against the glass. We stared at each other with confusion. "What the hell is going?" I muttered. "No idea." The twins replied. "Has this ever happened before?" I asked and both of them shook there head. The screams and shouts died down and some alarms stopped. "All locks disabled." Said a robotic female voice in Sokovian. It hadn't come from a person but from the alarm system in the room. The glass melted away like it had at the touch of a guards finger. I rushed out with confusion. Pietro rushed up to me first, softly grabbing my face before letting go and rushing to the door. He pulled at it and too our surprise, it opened. "Come on." He called. 

We wandered through the corridors, some alarms still rang but the screams had all come to a stop. And soon we realized why. The corridors had been empty but we came to a sudden halt as all of us gasped. A guard lay on the floor.  dead. And as we carried on through the corridors we saw more, lying dead. With a stab of pain i saw the doctor who had fixed my nose. She was crumpled on the floor, face down. I rushed over to her, crouching down by her side, i rolled her over hoping there was a way of saving her but she was gone. 

"Who did this?" Wanda asked in shock as we walked down more corridors, finding more dead. Her eyes glistened like she could start crying. So many were scientists who had experimented on me and guards who had always roughly held me so i felt no sympathy there. None of the faces belonged to the head scientist and i just hoped that he was dead somewhere in this building. "I did." The three of us jumped and spun around, stepping into a position for attack.  Behind us was a control room, littered with more dead  bodies. From behind a set of controls floated a man. No he wasn't a man, he was a robot- almost like a cyborg. He was made entirely from metal and his eyes glowed red. He started to float towards us and Pietro immediately stepped in front of me and his sister, reaching his arms in front of us to protect us. "Don't worry, i am not here to kill you." The robot spoke in a man's voice but with an electric buzz to it. "But you killed all these people." Wanda spoke in horror. He continued to float towards us. "Those were necessary. Still some got away." He answers. I thought about James and wondered if he had escaped or if this robot had got that far.

"Who are you?" I asked. He turned his head to me and answered. "I am Ultron." Ultron floated closer still and the three of us backed away. He let out a mechanical laugh. "I am not here to hurt you, i am here because i need your help." The three of us stared blankly at him, still not straightening up. "Help you with what?" Wanda asked, stepping out from behind Pietro. Ultron floated slowly around the control room. "I need to build something, something that could help me." The words washed over me slowly. "What are you building? What is it for?" Pietro asked. The sound of metal hitting ground echoed around the walls as Ultron moved closer. "There are people after me, people who want to destroy me." Ultron whirred. "Who?" Pietro asked impatiently. Ultron's red eyes skimmed over the three of us. "The avengers." 

"The Avengers?" I repeated slowly. "Who are the avengers?" Wanda asked with furrowed brows. Sometimes i forgot how far removed the twins were from society after being down here for so many years. "They are a 'superhero' organization." I explained. "They're," I gritted my teeth, "They're led by Tony Stark, or Iron man as he likes to call himself." I laughed bitterly.  Pietro instantly relaxed and i knew what he was thinking. "I'm in." He announced. "Me too." Wanda followed. They stared at me expectantly. "Wait," I started, "Why are the Avengers after you?" I asked. "Because Tony Stark created me," My jaw locked.

 "He put all his knowledge into me and now i understand everything, i understand that the Avengers are the real enemy." Ultron explained. "And if i have any chance of defeating a group of superheroes, i'm going to need three of my very own superheroes." I shook my head and furrowed my brows. "I'm not a superhero." I declared, the idea made me feel sick. Ultron chuckled mechanically. "But i hear you have the powers of one."  Pietro grabbed my hand and gave me a small nod. I looked between him, Wanda and Ultron. "Well of course i'm in." I told them and a smile broke out on Pietro's face.