Chapter 39

A couple days before the trial I was allowed to go home as long as I didn't leave Stark tower before coming to court. So Tony had me on complete lockdown. It was during that time that the news broke that Wanda and the rest of the incriminated avengers had been broken out by Steve. They were all on the run now. I thought of Wanda, where she was know and hoping we had forgiven each other. 

Peter called me, but I never picked up. I didn't pick up anyone's calls. I was worried about what people would said, what they thought of me now. The news had covered my whole case in detail, a constant flurry of interviews of people giving their opinion on me- most of them bad. I hated to think what Peter, what any of them thought of me now.  

The morning of the trial, i woke up early. I sat at the breakfast table with Tony, both of us to nervous to speak. Tony had the news on and the anchor spoke at length. "Clara Stark or the Shadow Hunter as we all now know her is due to appear in court today for the first day of what is thought to be many, of her trial regarding her involvement in the criminal under world."  I dressed in the clothes Tony had bought for me for the court. It was just a pair of black trousers, a white shirt and a black blazer. I stared in the mirror. Did i look normal enough? Did i look like a killer? My face was still bruised and cut from Berlin and I flinched as i pressed my finger tips against my stomach. 

 Too soon did the clock tick to 10 am. My trial was at 11 but Matt wanted us to get there half an hour early to go over our plan. Happy drove me and Tony to the court. I didn't speak. Instead i looked down at my phone, seeing a text from Peter. 'Good luck today. I know everything will be ok :)' It read. When we reached our destination, I sighed at the sight of press and reporters. Happy opened the door for Tony first, who fastened his jacket as he stepped out. Next, Happy opened the door for me and pushed back against the people who pressed forward. "Clara, how are you feeling about your trial?" One man asked me, shoving a camera in my face. I quickly pushed it away. "Are you nervous? Do you think you will win?" A women reporter i recognized from the local tv station. "Did you really kill all those people?" Another women asked, pushing a microphone towards me. I pushed it away and followed Happy and Tony through the crowd, keeping my head bowed low. Two police officers met us at the entrance and escorted us inside. 

Matt Murdock met us in a small room beside the court room. "Ok so Officer Kyle Parker and Brian Seacress, the head of the government department that deals with national threats,  are testifying against you but Nick Fury and Tony are testifying for you." He briefed. "I was right about Dina Asher, but if she wants to press charges, that's a different and simpler situation." Tony chimed in, "Secretary Ross is speaking too, he isn't the happiest with me at the moment, and he's a strong advocate for control of vigilantes but he might be fair." 

"The judge is Alexander Trice. He is fair. Honestly i think we have a good shot of clearing you but they might ask for some promises to be made. Given the circumstances of everything, i think you should be fine, it will be the government that we will have to deal with next and like Tony already said, cash is king in this situation." 

A man knocked on the door and came in to tell us the court session was starting in 5 minutes and we would have to take our places. We were lead to the court room next door, but before i was allowed in, a police officer clamped my wrists with hand cuffs. "Just a precautions." He uttered before leading us inside. I sat in a chair in the long narrow table in front of the pews. Matt sat to my side and Tony sat to the other side of me. On the other side sat Ben Jefferson, the lawyer, sitting smugly beside Kyle Parker and the government man Matt had mentioned. To the side of us, sat Nick Fury, Dina Asher and Secretary Ross. I blinked at the camera's ahead of me. This was a big public trial and it was being broadcasted all over the world. Soon everyone would know the details of my past. I thought of everyone watching at home- Peter, MJ, Ned and I wondered if Wanda and Nat, where ever they were, were watching. To my right were seated 12 jury members. I glanced behind me and could see a few people dotted in the seats. Officer Jimmy Woo was seated behind us next to Rhodes and Maria Hill. Even more police officers and government people and Dina's parents and...Pepper? She was seated near the back in front of yet more cameras. Her strawberry blonde hair was pin straight and she was dressed smartly. She met my eyes and gave me an encouraging, but nervous smile. I smiled back. I hadn't seen her since that night in the hospital, neither of us had. I glanced to my side at Tony and saw he was staring too. His mouth parted slowly and then suddenly, the judge banged his gavel and everyone became silent. I turned back around to the front and tried to breath.