Part 3- The shadow hunter- Chapter 20

Two weeks dawdled by and with them my lingering hopes of leaving Stark Tower and going anywhere, dwindled. It looked like i was stuck there. The 17th of September jumped up at me but i was determined to let it pass like any other day. I had a shower as best as i could with my leg and dressed for school. I took the elevator down stairs for breakfast, grabbing a piece of toast that was already laid on the table. Tony sat at the table, his head hidden behind a newspaper. The front page was still covered in stories of the robbery and questions about 'the mystery avenger'. I rolled my eyes as i skimmed the back page Tony held up. I quickly finished my breakfast, grabbed my bag and hobbling away. My leg had healed enough that it didn't hurt  but it was still in this horrible brace. "Goodbye then." Tony called. "Bye." I mumbled back. I pressed the button for the elevator and waited the few seconds until it arrived. "Oh, and happy birthday by the way."

 I spun around with narrowed eyes. "How do you know it's my birthday?" I shot. Tony brought the newspaper away from his face. "What you don't think i know my daughters birthday?" I raised a brow and he gave up on the façade. "I needed your birth certificate to enroll you at school and so Happy did some searching." He explained. I furrowed my brows and narrowed my eyes more. "But my birth certificate was destroyed when i was taken to the red room." I remember distinctly Natasha telling me once that they destroyed all of our birth certificates , making it seem as if we never existed. "Well they didn't destroy the encrypted Shield file containing another copy." He asked. I furrowed my brows. I knew SHIELD had files on me- on my time at the red room- but I didn't know they would have my birth certificate. They probably knew more about me than I did. 

 "Have a good day!" He called after me as i turned back to the open elevator. I groaned as i moved down floor after floor. I hated celebrating my birthday or any celebration of me. It was vain and pointless to have people celebrate your birth once a year. So, although today, i was now 17, no fuss would be made, no one would even mention it. 

"Happy birthday!" Happy said more cheerful than usual. He was holding the back door open for me as usual. "Not you as well?" I moaned. I sat in the back seat, flinging my bag on the other seat. "How old are you turning, 17?" He asked. I sighed. "I don't celebrate birthdays." I told him bluntly. I saw a tiny flash of something, maybe regret, cross his face, but i couldn't pin point the reasoning.  "Neither did your mother, she told me once that she thought they were pointless." I was taken off my guard by her mention. I had forgotten my mental note I had made, on the first day I met Happy, to ask him about her. One day I would. 

We sat in silence for the rest of the journey. Happy pulled up in his usual spot by the school, and there stood Peter in his usual spot on the curb. He rushed over to the door to help me out before Happy had even turned off the engine. "Peter, i'm fine." I insisted, getting out the car my self. "But what about your leg? You still need to be careful with it." He reminded me. I ignored him and stood up by my self, closing the door behind me. "Hi Happy, Bye Happy." Peter called to him. I started to make my way into school, Peter rushing beside me. We reached our lockers and Peter started pulling books out of his bag and shoving in his locker, i kept everything in my bag as usual. "Oh, i have something for you." Peter said. I looked down at his hand that held a white envelope with 'Imogen' written very neatly on it. I sighed loudly. "Did Tony tell you?" I asked. "Erm yes." He replied quietly. He passed me the envelope and i pushed it away. "I don't do birthdays." I told him, turning away slightly.

"Come on, it's your 17th, it's just a card." He insisted, pushing the envelope towards me again. "No really i don't want it." I said sharply. His hand stayed where it was, holding the envelope towards me, but his face turned disappointed. The expression reminded me very much of a lost puppy. "Fine." I sighed, taking the envelope, Peter smiling widely as i did so. I opened the envelope and pulled out the card from inside. The front was decorated with a big red 17. I opened the card and read the words written. 'Dear Alena, Happy 17th Birthday! I hope you have a great day. I know we haven't known each other long but your a great friend to me. From Peter." I tried to hide a small smiled on my lips as i read. Although it soon turned sour. I couldn't understand why he thought i was great friend to him. I spent most of the time trying to ignore him and shake him off. "Thanks Peter." I told him. He shrugged. "It's just a card. I have got you a present," He assured me. "but i'm giving it to you tonight at the party."  My facial expressions changed quickly and the realization flooded Peter's face. "What party?" I demanded. He rubbed the back of his neck. "Erm, ye what party? There isn't a party, i don't know what your talking about Alena." He said quickly, his words rushing out.