Chapter |8| Reckless Aftermath

I ran

I ran. My heels were held loose in my hand, my bag hanging low and my heart pounding as I sprinted through the streets of Manhattan.

A large bus was incoming ahead, only a frail elderly woman was waiting at the bright red stop, so I took my opportunity and hopped onto it, stealing a seat right at the back.

My phone was vibrating with a plethora of messages and missed calls. I shot Tessa a quick text telling her I was safe and then another to Alessi, informing I would be home soon.

As the bus started up again, I subbed, leaning my head against the cold thick glass. Watching the buildings and the bright lampposts pass me by, I could nothing but listen to the thoughts invading my head.

I was an idiot. A dumb stupid idiot.

Firstly for agreeing to sing a song in the first place, secondly for running out like a fool with tears streaming down my face, thirdly for not getting the hell out of the club as fast as possible and finally...for telling Aaron Black the truth.

Even if now it felt as though a heavy weight had been lifted off my chest and I could finally breathe. The guilt that was always there, pooling itself away in the bottom of my stomach had settled.

A fragment of it remained, and all because it looked like I had broken Aaron when I finally blurted out the truth. His face was ashen, his eyes filled with a sort of relenting horror and he stumbled backwards...he actually stumbled backwards.

What hurt the most was the way he let go of me, like I was fire and had scorched his skin.

Maybe I was fire? Maybe I was raging flame that caused mass destruction in its wake? Maybe only water could put me out? Only he could?

I doubt I'd ever see him again. He's probably already packing his bags and fleeing for Cuba. Aaron never wanted this, never wanted a family or me...not fully. He wanted my body, he wanted sex but never my heart. If I was going to be with someone, I needed them to want all of me.

I was surprised he didn't chase after me, although I had just stunned him into silence after my revelation. I don't even know why I had told him, I was hell bent on keeping my mouth shut, ignoring the bastard whenever he was near but that proved to be impossible.

We were magnetic, always gravitating towards each other, forced to be together.

Then he had me pinned against the wall and he just looked so angry, which made me angry. How dare he be pissed off at the thought of me having another man's child? We were done, finished, over. He was the reason why.

Aaron wasn't ready for a real relationship and I doubted he ever would be.

The bus came to a screeching halt, pulling up a block away from my house. I quickly brushed past the remaining passengers, ignoring the lingering stare of the creepy bus driver.