31. overwhelming

| | • • • • • | |

| | • • • • • | |

Jake's POV

Getting inside the cafe I put my bag away and wore my apron. Another day where the weather gave hints of winter and I was all alone working in the not so crowded cafe. Rushing up to give the customers their order I felt uneasy with an empty stomach and a moody day. It did feel lonely but I'd rather feel that than have people comfort me. The door slid open as I noticed Heeseung hyung walk. Our eyes met but I sighed and looked away.

"Don't see you around anymore." He said walking to the counter. The guy looked up at the menu to order while I didn't bother to answer him. "Don't push yourself away from all of us Jake. We're your friends. We want to make you feel better-" now that's where I was supposed to stop him. I knew they were my friends but I needed some time alone. "Hyung please don't do this here." Quietly saying out, I made his cup of hot coffee as he sighed getting closer.

"Jake, what if she actually has feelings for you?" He said out in a lower tone making me freeze. He didn't realize how much that one sentence hurt me. "No she doesn't." I didn't want to talk to him anymore and quickly placed coffee cup in front of him. He looked at me in disappointment and grabbed the cup. "You never know what happens in the future Jake." Quietly saying it he left the cafe leaving me thinking.

Could his words really make any difference? I didn't think so. With that I carried on working yet once again.

-

Aera's POV

"Can you both stop fighting? Aheon is taking a nap." I frustratedly said out with a higher tone as the two elderlies in front quietened. My headache was killing me and on top of that I had to go to work as well. Slamming the door shut, I walked out of the house angrily. Shifting with my colleague I fixed the products and then got back to my position waiting for any customers.

It was pretty late and not much customers came so I was relieved. A few minutes later an older lad came giving me creepy vibes. He got inside and checked the products. "I have an issue here." He said out gathering my attention as I quickly went towards him to see the product he was holding. "I can't see the expiration date." He said out as I took the product and looked for it. The guy started coming closer as I felt uneasy. I kept staying at a distant from him but he managed to come closer. "Uhm here's the date sir." I quickly gave the product back to him and was ready to go back when he held my hand.

"What's the hurry, beauty?" His eyes. It made me uncomfortable and I was scared. "Huh?" I tried getting out of his grip but it was of no use. "Why are you trying to leave? Let's have some fun first." He started approaching me as I pushed him. Fear was all he could see in my eyes. I felt the guy inappropriately touch me as I tried to push him away but he was too strong. "Please stop." I almost cried out in fear.

"She said to stop." A voice from behind made the man stop as he turned around to receive a powerful blow. I looked up to see Jake looking at me with his worried eyes. "Damn the fuck kid?" The customer was ready to hit Jake back but he quickly dodged him and attacked back with another powerful punch causing the older guy to pass out on the floor.

I was scared to death seeing the two of them that it made me tear up. Jake panted for air as he stood up. I saw his bleeding fists as he quickly covered and looked at me. The guy took off his jacket and covered me with it. "Please be careful." His voice was low but I heard it. He was ready to leave but I stopped him.

-

I quietly wrapped the gauge around Jake's wounded hand while he was all quiet. The guy didn't dare look at me and neither did I. We both felt the awkwardness between. It was the longest I've been with him since the past two weeks and it'd be a lie to say I didn't miss him. I missed him a lot. And the fact that he got hurt because of me was making me feel horrible. It was all silent until he spoke up. "Aera."

He said out as I hummed waiting for him to continue. "Was I not enough for you?" He said out stopping me from doing what I was doing. I didn't want to do this now. It was just not the day for Jake to tell me how much I've hurt him. He was hurt. I knew I hurt him really bad but I couldn't say anything. Anything I'd say now would be really bad for the both of us.

"Do you really not have any feelings for me?" He asked me once again as I bit my lips. My head was paining too much and I didn't like this situation. It felt horrible to be here at the moment. "Jake please. I am dating Sunghoon. You cant ask me these questions. It makes me uncomfortable." I said out not knowing how much this statement hurt him. He was taken back by what I said and was silent for a moment making me realise what I had just said to him. I hurt him once again.

"Oh. Okay I'm sorry. I'll leave now." The guy was shocked by what I had said and pulled his wounded hand away from me. He stood up grabbing his bag and started walking away and I couldn't even stop him once. Not once did he again look back at me. "Jake.." I whispered holding his jacket tightly as my eyes got watery seeing his faded figure disappear. And that's where a tear left my eye as I quickly closed them.

It was too overwhelming for me. Everything I did. Someone got hurt by it. No matter what I did, I ended up hurting other people and I felt horrible being the bad person here. "I'm so sorry.." I said out clutching onto the guy's jacket tightly.

-

"What happened Aera?" Sunghoon asked out as I tightened my hug around him. "Nothing. I just need this." I stayed like this for a while as the guy snuggled onto me. I needed this and I was thankful but I knew Sunghoon knew something was wrong. I knew something was wrong too. It's just that no one knew what exactly was wrong.

| | • • • • • | |