49. thank you

| | • • • • • | |

| | • • • • • | |

Aera's POV

"Why is it so chilly tonight?" I said to myself rubbing my hands against each other as I sat down on the small stairs in front of my house. Checking the time, I saw it was past 1am. Just a little bit more and I could enter the house peacefully. Well yeah being wished a.k.a. surprised by my family for my birthday was one of the things I didn't want to go through. Not this year at least. So I remained sitting outside waiting for all of them to be asleep. "They must be asleep by now." Knowing they probably were awake for a long time waiting for me, I felt a bit guilty as I stood up and walked towards the door.

Slowly unlocking it, I got inside to see the dark room as a sigh left my mouth. "Thank god." I whispered before tiptoeing to my room. "You're home." A tiny voice from behind freaked me out as I turned around to see my sleepy brother. "Guess so." I replied to him with an even tinier tone as he nodded rubbing his eyes. The guy scratched his head before turning around to go back to bed but stopped midway. "Ahh happy birthday noona." He said out as I gave him a small smile and a thank you before going back to my room. Entering my room, the first thing I saw was a small note and a piece of cake beside it.

"Happy birthday Aera! Sorry for not being home tonight. Promise, I'll make it up to you after I get home in the morning. Also, we are going to the Sim's for dinner. Till then, enjoy the cake!"

A sad smile appeared on my face as I looked at the piece of desert in front of me. Sitting down, I started nibbling my way to the sweet food as I stared at the stars on the sky. "It seems to be shining more than usual." Noticing the twinkling objects, a similar memory reached my mind. A happy one. A very happy one. "Would he pick up if I called him tonight?" The one question that lingered on my mind for days now. But I was more hopeful since it wasn't a normal day. Dialing the number, I heard the ringing sound as my heartbeat dropped slowly.

'Sorry, the number you dialed is currently unreachable. Please leave a voicemail after the beep.' Been hearing the same thing for months now. I bit my lips trying my best to not be heartbroken about something which was pretty predictable. The call got converted to a voice message as I breathed heavily for a while looking at the cake and then at the stars.

"Hey.. Jake." I started slowly knowing this message was going to go nowhere. "There are a lot of stars in the sky tonight. Just like we saw the night on your grandma's roof." My voice broke as I gulped not looking away holding the phone by my ear. There was a long silence. I couldn't say anything at all. All the message was recording was my sniffles. "Please come back.." Very slowly saying, I immediately cut the call as I bit my lips even harder this time. "Gosh Aera you're so pathetic."

-

"You look prettyyy." My mom and Sunoo both complimented me as I stared at the mirror looking at myself all decked up to go celebrate a party I wasn't even looking forward. "Thanks." Calmly saying, I looked away as they sighed. My mom left the room after she signalled something to the other guy. "Don't be such a party pooper and cheer up. It's your birthday." He said out patting my back as I nodded forcefully.