three || of brothers and bryce

When we ring the doorbell of the Harrison's, I almost expect no one to answer. After a few moments of silence, I begin to think that I was right, but then very slowly, the door creeps open. It's not Mr. or Mrs. Harrison, though. Luca Harrison, Caiden's older brother is standing on the other side of the door. It's not hard to tell that they're related; they're both rather timid, share the same blonde hair and blue eyes that always seems to swirl with emotion.

I've never talked much to Luca, since he's in University and doesn't come home often. Luca steps out a little more from behind the door, giving us a shy smile and asking softly, "Can I help you?"

My mother speaks up for us, "Hi, I'm Julie and this is John. We're Ryan's parents."

She goes to say more, but stops when Luca's eyes light up with understanding. He gently steps outside, closing the door softly behind him and leaning against it. "The Reinharts, right?" After receiving a nod, he continues with, "Caiden's told me a lot about you. Is he staying with you? Is he okay?"

"Yes, he's been staying with us. And he's physically decent," my father practically spits out. Luca flinches. I would, too; my father is pissed, considering the very people who kicked Caiden out of his home are acting like they care. Searching Luca's face, all I can see is concern etched on his features, though.

"Where you there when he got kicked out?" I speak up suddenly.

"I just came home yesterday," Luca explains, shaking his head. "I've been trying to calm them down. Caiden hasn't answered any of my calls, did he go to school?"

"No, he didn't," my mother states. "Are your parents home? We called them earlier."

Luca frowns. "You did? They didn't tell my anything. But yes, they are. I just don't think speaking to them will be a good idea. They're beginning to calm down, and hopefully realizing what they've done is wrong, but saying anything now can set them off. I'm sorry if Caiden staying with you is a problem, I can take him back to my apartment with me."

"No, he needs to go to school. How far is your apartment?"

"An hour drive."

"Unrealistic," my mother states, shaking her head. "He can stay with us for the time being. It's not a problem. Right, John?"

"Of course," my father nods. Luca gives us a small nod and lets out a shuddering breath, running a hand down his face in an exasperated manner. "We just need his stuff."

"Right," Luca nods. "Um, my parents are leaving the house later tonight, so if you, I can bring the stuff over then. Is it okay, um, if I see Caiden? He isn't answering any of my calls, I think he thinks I'm angry at him too. I'm not, I've kind of known for a while that Ryan was a little more than just a 'friend'."

"Do you see it the same way as your parents?" I ask quietly. "Being gay?"

Luca purses his lips. "I was raised in a church. It's hard to just drop everything I was taught to believe. But Caiden's not a sinner, not in the least bit. He didn't deserve to get kicked out. I mean, it's not his fault that he's... the way he is." Luca heaves a deep breath. "If I have to change what I believe in for Caiden, I will."

We nod and bid our goodbyes. I follow my mother back into the car while my father stops to sort out what time Luca will come by. I get in the backseat, twirling the ribbon around my wrist, lost mulling over the words Caiden had said. I snap out of it when my mother says, "So, a ribbon campaign, huh?" I look down to the ribbon.

"Yeah," I say softly.

"That's brave of you, baby girl. I'm proud of you."

I shurg. "It's really not a big deal. I doubt it'll really go far."