thirty one || of stories and gratefulness

"Are you sure you have everything?" my mother questions for the hundredth time, eyes jumping from bag to bag in the trunk of the car nervously. "Toothbrush, hairbrush, deodorant, cologne-"

"-Shower gel, shaving cream, razor?" Ryan finishes with a smile, rolling his eyes. "Yes mom, we have it all. We had it all the last eight times you asked too."

My mother doesn't listen to Ryan though- she begins to go through the bags to make sure he hasn't forgotten anything. Fiona, who has been by my father's side now runs over to Ryan. Ryan, who is leaning against the car with his arm around Caiden's shoulders smiles down at Fiona before taking back his arm and picking her up. "How long are you going to be gone, Ryan?" Fiona asks sweetly.

"Caiden and I will be back this weekend, I promise," Ryan smiles down at her.

At the mention of Caiden, Fiona squirms in Ryan's hold until he lets her go and instead moves to Caiden. Caiden laughs, hugging her back when she wraps her arms around his stomach. Bryce, who's standing beside me, laughs softly at my little sister's behaviour.

Caiden and Ryan are finally heading out to University. Even though it's freezing in Ohio and all of us are bundled in layer after layer, our whole family (including Bryce and Caiden) is gathered outside ready to say goodbye. The University is only an hour and a half drive away, so luckily Caiden and Ryan can come home on the weekends if they have the time between studies.

After the whole blow up Caiden had with his dad, things seemed to go uphill. Caiden moved back in, and although he was nervous for the first couple of months about what his parents might do, he distracted himself with work and seemed to relax significantly when he finally turned eighteen. Nothing has been heard from the Harrison household since, and even though it's upsetting that Luca hasn't been keeping contact with Caiden either, it's a relief to have them out of our hair.

Caiden and Ryan have just grown closer from the whole experience. Caiden as a person has too. After finally proving to himself that he's not weak and helpless he's able to speak for himself and is significantly less shy and hesitant with people he's unfamiliar with. I'm happy for Caiden- I really am. The defeated look on his face after those guys jumped Caiden and Ryan still haunts me. I'm just glad he was able to fight the inner turmoil he had been feeling.

Bryce and I have grown closer too. Painfully close, to the point that if I'm not with him at least once in a day I begin to feel like some part of me is missing. And although it's scary and crossing into a territory of unfamiliar feelings, I welcome it and luckily so does Bryce. We're young, we're probably going to make too many mistakes to count and bicker over the stupidest of things. Hell, in all reality we may not even last past high school- most high school relationships don't (though Caiden and Ryan do manage to give me hope). But right now it's perfect, so Bryce and I have agreed to focus on the now and not on the what may be. And I have to admit- I love that idea.

"You better call me as soon as you guys get there," my mother nags as my father takes Fiona from Caiden. As soon as he does, my mother wastes no time pulling Caiden into a tight hug. "And I want you to remember you are pretty much a son to me. If you need anything at all, don't be afraid to ask me. Even if you need someone to talk to who's not this dork," she gestures to Ryan, making him laugh, "I'm always here for you. Understood?"

Caiden laughs as well, "Understood. Thanks, Mrs. Reinhart. You too, Mr. Reinhart. For everything this past year and a bit, it really means the world to me."

"It was our pleasure having you Caiden," my father replies, using the arm that isn't holding Fiona to embrace him as well. He pulls back, hugging Ryan as well. "You better do your work," he scolds him with a broad smile. "Don't fool around too much."