twenty six || of eggs and stress

The next day, Bryce comes to my house with bloody knuckles.

When I ask him what happened, he simply replied with a shrug and a short reply that went something along the lines of, "They had it coming." I don't ask him to expand on it because I know that he probably went after Logan and his gang. Even though I should be angry at him for putting himself in a dangerous situation like that, I can't find it in me to get mad at him for standing up for my brother.

We go out that night, Bryce claims he wants to take his girlfriend on a real date. I snort at that but we go out for a dinner and movie any way. When we bump into one of Bryce's friends after the movie, butterflies grow in my stomach when he asks if we're together but it all leaves as soon as Bryce smiles and proudly says yes. I find myself smiling at that reply too. I like being with Bryce- being together. We just work better that way.

Later that week we have the first rough draft of the speech written. I practice and practice it, taking it to a lot of different people to get opinions on parts that Bryce and I argued about. Needless to say, by the time we actually have a final copy of the speech we're proud to say we wrote, it's mid August. And God, does time fly.

Ryan and Caiden have decided to take the first semester of university off so they can figure out arrangements with Caiden. Things are complicated with loans considering Caiden is still, legally, under his parent's custody (he's not eighteen until October). Ryan refuses to go to school without Caiden, especially since they planned on rooming together so the whole family decides it's for the better that they take the first semester to stay home, figure things out and work for some extra money.

Bryce and I, while thinking about going into our junior year of high school, are more focused on the big speech. It's already a given that Bryce is going with me, considering he practically wrote this speech with me and he's my 'manager' (which although Bryce doesn't exactly do much to hold onto that title, he refuses to let go of it).

August flies by quick. Nothing too extraordinary happens. Bryce and I find a way to be together almost every day, whether it's to work on the speech or to just be together. Thankfully, we don't get in anymore fights that end in him ignoring me for days at a time. I don't think I'd be able to handle something like that us between us again, anyway. Bryce's mother finally earns a more steady job so things at his home take a turn for the better. Bryce's smile no longer has that tint of stress to it and rather shines bright with happiness.

Much to my dismay, there are still nights when Bryce goes out with his friends to get wasted. I try not to pay too much attention to it. I know that I shouldn't expect him to drop everything, that wouldn't be fair. He's already decreased the amount of he drinks so rapidly, I know at this it's baby steps to sobriety. I know that because Bryce always comes to me the next morning wearing a mask of guilt on his face, and each time after he drinks less and less.

Caiden hasn't approached me all month about his feelings. It seem after that conversation with me he has been afraid to open up about his self-loathing thoughts. Ryan has tried to push him to talking about what has been upsetting him but he just stays quiet. I notice that eventually Ryan just drops is, not wanting to cause his boyfriend stress but he still worries, it's obvious in his hazel eyes. Luca has completely stopped coming around, claiming he's too busy to visit Caiden when he comes back to town to visit his parents. Ryan tells me that sometimes he catches Caiden on his phone, looking through old photos of his family and Luca with a crest fallen expression. I have to admit- that breaks my heart.

The Ribbon Campaign has been gaining more and more support. Somewhere near the end of August, it was actually mentioned on TV but a morning show, and I swear I almost fell over upon hearing it. I went online just to find that this wasn't the first time the campaign had been mentioned, articles on it were also published online and even in one newspaper in Florida. I know that it's doing amazing but that doesn't stop Bryce from reminding just how much it's going to blow up after my speech on national TV.