eleven || of heart attacks and hangovers

The next morning I wake up unusually late. Since I'm so used to getting up early in the morning, I usually wake up before the sun is completely up on weekends too, but this morning my eyes blink open to sunlight pushing through the cracks of the blinds in hot and blinding rays. It takes me a couple of moments to process that I'm in Ryan's room, since I know for a fact that the walls in my room aren't blue.

I shift on the bed slightly so I can lie down on my back. From there, I turn my head to see my brother sprawled out all over the bed. I let out a breath through my nose, rolling back one of my shoulders and wincing when I hear a crack. I feel uncomfortable for a moment and after the events from last night catch up to me I realize it's because I fell asleep in my clothes.

Trying my very best not to wake Ryan up, I peel back the heavy blanket over me and slowly shift my body to the end of the mattress until I manage to get off. I want to go to my room and get sweatpants on, but then I remember Bryce is sleeping there so instead I go to the bathroom. Once I brush my teeth and brush out my hair I spend some time leaning over the sink, wondering how painful my parents are going to make my death.

Creeping my way downstairs, I hope that somehow they're still sleeping even though they never sleep past nine. Sure enough, as I enter the kitchen, my mother and father are already sitting at the dining table and eating eggs. My mother smiles at me when she comes, "Good morning, Ellie."

I blink, has she not seen Bryce? She seems in way too good of a mood. "Good morning," I reply with a smile of my own.

"There's a plate of eggs for you on the stove," she tells me. I exhale deeply in relief- if she hasn't said anything she must not know anything. Thank God.

I take the plate of scrambled eggs and make my way over to the dining table, sitting down beside my mother. Just as I dig in, my father asks, "So Ellie, why is Bryce Newton sleeping in your bed?"

I choke on my eggs. Taking a moment to compose myself by sipping on some of my mother's juice, I say, "It's actually a really funny story."

Not bothering lying to my parents, I launch into the story of Bryce's phone call last night, waking Ryan and Caiden and the purple dinosaur. I observe my parents' faces throughout the whole tale, and luckily there isn't a hint of anger but rather amusement.

"Well let the boy sleep in," my father says. "I'm proud of you for being a good... friend and doing that, Ellie. Let us know if he needs anything for the headache I'm sure he's going to have."

"Thanks dad," I smile, hugging him.

After finishing my breakfast I go to the living room and sprawl out on the couch, watching some TV. I'm midway through a Storage Hunters episode when my phone vibrates.

Bryce: ELLIE

Bryce: ELLIE OH MY GOD

Ellie: WHAT?

Bryce: I LITERALLY JUST WOKE UP IN A RANDOM ROOM I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE I AM I DON'T REMEMBER A THING FROM LAST NIGHT AND I HAVE A GIANT HANGOVER BUT I'M LITERALLY FREAKING THE FUCK OUT

I put a hand over my mouth trying to stifle my laughter. Bryce has never been in my room, so of course he would think he woke up in a random house.

Ellie: Is the door locked or something? Leave the room!

Bryce: I CAN'T I HEAR VOICE DOWNSTAIRS AND LIKE WHAT IF I BUMP INTO SOMEONE AND THEY KILL ME

Bryce: I THINK IT'S A GIRLS ROOM I SEE A HUGE TEDDY BEAR IN THE CORNER

Bryce: OH MY GOD WHY DID I WAKE UP IN A GIRL'S BED???? I DON'T REMEMBER ANYTHING!!! I'M NOT A SLUT I SWEAR E L L I E

Bryce: THE SCREEN IS HURTING MY HEAD HELP ME ALREADY