Chapter 13

Autumn's POV
I've never hated anyone more in my life than I do Niccolo. I don't understand what he could possibly gain from trying to control my life. From trying to own me.

He's intentionally trying to make my life miserable- he has made my life miserable. Even my parents weren't this unbearable.

The smile he had on his face while I was leaving the club was enough to make me want to bash that smug, pretty face in with a baseball bat.

Finally having had enough, I decided to speak to Marcellius about it the next morning. We chose to meet up at his wife's Cafe where he ordered a cup of coffee, and I a cinnamon roll.

It's not necessarily the best breakfast choice, but I was dealing with a terrible hangover and ended up arriving late.

Marcellius gripped his mug, bringing it up to his lips and taking a sip, before setting the mug back down and sighing. "Apologies, Autumn. I know how difficult Nic can be."

He doesn't seem surprised by the fact his brother is doing cocaine at their nightclub. But he did seemed surprised by the fact that it had been with Sin.

"So you'll speak to him?"

He pauses for a moment, then says, "I can't guarantee my speaking to him will change anything." He releases another sigh. "But, I will try."

"Thank you so much Mr. Fierri." He just nods. I ready myself to leave, but stop when I remember I still haven't heard from Jess. "Oh, one more thing." He quirks a brow, waiting for my question.

"Has something happened to Jess? I haven't heard from her, and I'm starting to get worried."

"Jess no longer works for me."

"What? Why?" I question.

He's about to speak, but is interrupted by Mia who stops at our table with a pot of freshly brewed coffee in her hand. "Hi Autumn. How's everything?" She gives me a warm smile and I return the gesture, even though my mind is elsewhere.

She looks beautiful as ever with her pregnancy glow, but I can't help but notice the dark circles under her eyes. "Fine, thank you. She pours her husband another cup of coffee.

"Grazie tesoro(darling)," Marcellius says, resulting in a blush from Mia. I don't know much about either of them, but from what I've witnessed they really love each other. They're so cute.

Another customer tugs her away, and I turn my attention back to Marcellius. "Can you tell me why she left? Or give me her number so I can get in contact with her? I want to make sure she's okay."

He shakes his head. His facial expression is emotionless, unreadable. I can't tell what he's thinking, but I can tell he's holding something back.

"Apolgies, but that's not possible." His tone is calm, but it's hard not to miss the warning in his eyes. Whatever happened to Jess isn't meant to be brought to light. "Please just drop it. It's safer that way."

Safer?

What does he mean by that? Maybe I should be worried. I stare at Marcellius, a plethora of possible, terrifying scenarios raiding my head. Which brings me to my next question.

"There's articles about you being apart of..." I bring my voice down to a whisper, not sure if this is some kind of forbidden secret. "The Mafia," I say lowly, scanning my surroundings to make sure no one heard me.

Marcellius chuckles, which makes me suddenly feel stupid. I don't know whether it has to do with the fact that I'm whispering, or the fact that I probably shouldn't have been so quick to believe Google. Either way he's staring at me with a raised brow.