Chapter 19

Autumn's POV
When the doors to the Fierri mansion open and an injured Niccolo wrapped up like a damn near mummy walks in, my heart sinks.

My heart actually sinks.

I shouldn't even care considering all the things he's done to me since I was hired at his nightclub. I shouldn't care at all when he continues to be an asshole towards me. I hate him. And I hate that I care.

When his eyes flicker over to me, his lips immediately curve down into a frown, and there's an obvious disdain in his eyes.

I understand I'm not the first person he wants to see, but I'm here and I'm not leaving. And even if I wanted to, I don't really have a choice. Mama Fierri has provided me with a guest room with the intention of my staying here overnight.

I wasn't exactly looking forward to it, and I'm a two-hundred percent sure Niccolo won't be happy about it when he finds out, but oh well. The bed has been made, and I'm exhausted.

"What the hell is she doing here?" He snarls at his brothers.

"Don't speak that way to your guest, Niccolo," Mama Fierri scolds, entering in from the hallway.

She gives me a smile, before focusing her attention back on her son. She's sending him a death glare that makes her far more scarier than her sons are.

Niccolo stands down, his eyes softening. "Apolgies Ma, but she should not be here."

"She came for you figlio(son)."

"I don't care!" He retorts. When he notices the look on his mother's face he apologies again and lowers his voice. "She's not staying here."

Mama Fierri's about to speak, but I step in. "Stop speaking about me as if I'm not standing here. If you have shit to say then say it to my face!"

He turns his head to face me, his hazel eyes dark. "I. Don't. Want. You. Here."

He motions to his brothers to help him. Luciano and Cesare hook their arms on either side of him, and lead him towards the hallway. As he passes by me he says, "leave. You aren't wanted here."

Once he's gone I release a sigh. I didn't expect his reaction to be any different than what it was. Being as I've been insulted, neglected, and rejected my whole life, I was use to it. I've become numb to it.

At least I thought I was numb to it. But it's clear that I'm not, because his words had cut me deep down. I felt like I was back at my parents house at the age of five, and my parents telling me that I was an unwanted accident.

It was my mother who screamed in my face and told me she wished I had never been born. That she wished she had had an abortion.

I was hurt and still am. It's why I act the way I do towards them. It's why I can be such a bitch towards people. I rather them to hate me, then to let them tear me down. It's my way of coping. Hurt them before they hurt me. It's a motto I've lived by since that day.

"I'm sorry he treats you that way," Mia says, walking up beside me. She places a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"It's fine. I'm use to it." I can tell she wants to say something else, but stops herself. "I think I'm going to call it a night," I tell everyone before turning on my heel to find the guest room.

I pass by several doors, only to stop in front of a door cracked ajar. I can see Niccolo in his room. He sits on the edge of the bed, struggling to remove his shirt with his uninjured hand.

He curses under his breath, sighing heavily with frustration. I place my hand on the door to enter, but pause. I'm hesitant, unsure.

I should just mind my own business and go to my room. But, that's never been me. So I push open the door and shut it behind me.