4

I stood there in the creatures giant liquid body as it spoke into my ear. I wanted to run away more than anything, but my body refused to move. In my mind, I was sprinting creating as much distance between us as possible. However, in reality, I was still paralyzed by fear. 

"Do you like my home?" the creature asked. "In case you were wondering, this is a world that exists within the sword called the End World."

"W-W-W-Who are you?" I said, finally managing to muster up the courage to speak.

"Nervous, aren't we?" it tormented me. "Well, the simple answer would be that my name is End, the spirit of the Cursed Sword." Like before, the creature dropped into the liquid and popped back out, but this time in front of me. It leaned very close to my face before saying what it was going to say. I could smell it's putrid breath easily. It literally smelled like oil and death. 

"However, the more complicated and more accurate answer would be that I'm End, the manifestation of all things negative, dark, evil, twisted, and cursed in this world." 

"A-A-Are you going to kill me?"

"Nooo," End said, chuckling. "We are going to make a deal though."

"W-What kind of deal?" End, using their huge oily body, conjured up a chair with it and sat on it to look more professional as they prepared to explain what exactly they had in mind. They made a chair for me as well, and gestured at me to sit. 

"We both are going to need things from each other now," End started. "You're going to need more from me of course, but I'll only need you to do one tiny thing for me in return." I had only just met this dark being, and could already tell whatever it needed from me was not going to be as tiny as it claimed. I knew what they were saying was a lie, but I had no choice but to go with it. 

"What do you need me to do?" With a huge sly grin plastered on their face, End floated closer to my face again. 

"I need you to gather all ten Cursed Stones so that I can be brought back to my full complete state. You've already gotten one of them. Now you just need the other nine. Plus, you'll only gain full control of the Cursed Sword and its powers when you have all ten. The more Cursed Stones you get, the more powerful the sword becomes."

"Wouldn't that be making you more powerful as well?"

"Well, of course."

"How do I know you won't use the power to try to destroy the world or something once I bring you back to full strength?" I asked. I snapped out of the paralyzed state I was in and realized the villainous foe I was in front of. "You're trying to use me so you can harm the universe, and I won't let that happen-"

Before I could continue, End extended their arm and launched me into the ground filled with their liquid body. They brought me back up from the substance with their hand wrapped around my throat, tightening the grip as I squirmed.

"I'm afraid you don't have a choice, Ezra," End said. "You may not have realized it, but the second you grabbed my sword, felt the gut-wrenching pain, had the markings surround your entire body, your soul bonded with the sword. Or to be more precise, with me. Which means if I felt like it, I could end your worthless life right now without even moving a finger." They threw me from their grasp, and I landed with a sickening thud on my back. I started coughing up blood, and noticed End had inched closer to me again with their right arm extended.

"So, do we have deal?" 

"S-Sure," I replied with a hoarse tone as I shook their oily pitch black hand. I knew I was in no shape to decline at this point. The best I could do was play along until I got an opportunity to strike back. 

"Perfect!" End exclaimed. All of a sudden, an expression that was somehow creepier then when they looked angry was on their face. They looked jubilant. I guess anybody would be happy after forcing a person into a one-sided deal where they get everything they want in the end. 

"Okay, time to send you back. Remember our deal." With a snap of their oily fingers, I was back in the town laying on the ground. Not only that, but my body was perfectly fine. My body practically felt brand new. 

"Guys, Ezra's back!" a goblin named Kroll yelled. Everyone started running towards me.

"Oh my God, are you okay?!" Phoebe asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lied. I couldn't tell them that to prevent myself from dying that I made a deal with an evil being who threatened mankind. 

"We saw you get sucked into that sword and didn't know what to do." I put an arm on Phoebe's shoulder as a reassurance as I saw her worried look.

"Well, I'm not going anywhere," I said.

"You better not," she replied, smiling. "Now, I have something to ask you."

"What's that?" 

"How would you like to become an Outer?" she offered. All my life, I had never been apart of a group or club that actually wanted me there. Whether it was a group project, or picking players for a pick up basketball game, nobody ever truly wanted me there. I can't really say being friends with Hailee and Alex counts as a group since it's only three of us. I never had a large amount of people include me in something. And because of that, I never felt like I belonged anywhere. But when Phoebe asked me that question as everyone else stood behind her, it was like I was being given a chance to remake myself. The old outcast version was fading away as she uttered those eight words. I didn't know if I wanted to hug her, try to kiss her again, or both, but I did my best to keep my reaction professional.

"I'd love to, Phoebe," I replied, grinning ear to ear. They all started cheering, and I could feel it in that moment. I finally belonged somewhere.