23

Hailee and I began happily heading back to everyone after we settled everything. It was the first time in awhile where we were just chopping it up. Just casually talking and laughing. 

Our upbeat nature was instantly eliminated as soon as we got back, though.

"What's wrong, guys?" I said, after noticing the gloomy aura that was surrounding everybody. I noticed that Lucy wasn't around either, but I didn't care enough about her whereabouts at the moment to ask. "You guys all look like you saw a ghost."

"Wish he was a ghost..." An Outer named Kai grumbled.

"Who?"

"Zero."

"He's in Euphornia City with King Jasper, and they're unveiling some new statue of himself," Phoebe said, as she showed me her phone. "It's being broadcasted right now. Look."

"And why exactly does he need a statue? To commemorate how much he's ruined everyone's lives?" I asked.

"The statue says 'Arusia's Greatest Treasure,'" Bowie scoffed.

"That 'treasure' is nothing but false gold, then," I said. 

"We have to stop him," Rose added.

"Why don't we go stop him now?" I said, eagerly. "If I give Phoebe the power up, we'll have two people on our side who can handle him. And he doesn't even have his henchmen with him. He's just with the king. We'll have strength in numbers, and a power advantage."

I walked up close to Phoebe with conviction, and prepared to ask her the important question.

"Are you ready?"

"A-Actually, is it okay if I pass?"

Everybody, including me, contorted their face in shock as she made that statement.

"Um...why?"

As Phoebe started to strut in Hailee's direction, I could tell where the conversation was headed. Couldn't say I was mad at her decision though. In fact, I was happy about it.

"Because this young lady," Phoebe started as she playfully put her arm over Hailee's shoulder. "Deserves to get it first."

"B-But Phoebe, you're our leader," Hailee said.

"Exactly. And as your leader, I order you to be the first to get the power up. You're not going to go against my order, are you?"

"N-No, ma'am," Hailee shook her head.

"Good. Now go show everyone that you are strong. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise."

Hailee gave Phoebe a strong nod, and started walking my way. She had a very serious aura as she came towards me. She was walking with a strong intent, and reason. I could feel it in my bones that she was more than ready.

Uh oh, End chuckled. Looks like we have another incoming Alex situation. You want to be the cause for another one of your friend's death?

That won't happen, I thought. Not this time.

And why's that? Because she's..."strong?"

Not "strong." She is actually strong, and I'll show you.

"I don't have to ask, do I?" I said, smiling at Hailee as we both looked into each other's eyes.

"Nope. I'm ready, Ezra. Do it."

"Your wish is my command," I grinned. I started to channel up all the cursed ki I could, and began honing it all in. I wasn't sure how I knew, but I could feel exactly what to do to complete the process even though nobody told me how to. It was like the cursed ki itself was telling me what to do.