Chapter 13.

-Eagan, Minnesota. 1973-

MARY JANE MILLER

"That's not fair! I want a do over!"

"Nah mate, I won pay up!"

I shake my head laughing at Ryder and TJ as they play ring toss, their bet lasted for the entirety of the game, turns out TJ won — that's what Ryder gets for being so cocky.

"What do you want to do next sweets?" Harry asks from beside me, my head resting on his bicep as we walk along holding onto one another in the neon illuminated fair ground.

I bite my lip looking around, we've done every game there is so far, we came here when it was bright now the sky is dark and filled with stars but the fair is still packed with people of all ages having the time of their lives. It's amazing to look at, everyone looks so beautiful as they laugh and smile in pure bliss.

"We haven't tried the Ferris wheel yet!" I say pointing over at the large wheel covered in neon lights, the carriages slowly moving around lifting people up off the ground as they get a sight of everything from the top when they stop for a few minutes.

"No way, that thing is too high!" Harry says gripping onto my hand as I laugh rolling my eyes playing with his rings on his hand.

"I'll be with you, nothing will happen — I promise" I say stopping us both and looking at him as he stares up at the large wheel in hesitation and fear, his eyes following it around intently.

"look at me sunflower" I whisper and his eyes finally meet mine, his hand getting sweaty in my grip as I cradle my other palm on his cheek rubbing my thumb over his cheekbone that's being highlighted by the neon glow.

"I groove you, it's going to be okay" his smile grows as I speak, his lips curving into his signature warm smile, his dimples popping out and his nostrils flaring a little.

"Okay, but can we get candy floss afterwards?" He asks pouting like a toddler as I nod laughing, pulling him by his hand as he cuddles into the teddy bear dressed in flares and a tie dye t shirt he won for me at ring toss.

"I can't wait, this is going to be so fun!" I nearly squeal as we wait in line, Harry paying for our tickets and holding onto them as he keeps me grounded beside him, if he didn't I know I'd float away in excitement.

"You're like a sprog on Christmas Day sweets, calm down or you will pee your flares" he says nodding down towards my Cherry red flares on my legs, I slap his arm playfully using my other hand to wrap his coat around me properly to get some warmth into me before we're up on the wheel where the breeze is.

"Pipe down sunflower, get excited! It's not every day you get to go on these things and see everything from a new perspective!" I say as he doesn't say anything, he just looks at me and pecks my lips with a massive grin.

"You're right, sometimes it's worth it to face your fears to look at things in a new perspective" he mumbles as I smile at him, reaching out to wipe the red lipstick from his lips with a laugh.

"Come on! We're up!" I squeal excitedly as the man pulls back the barricade, allowing us through as Harry throws him the tickets apologising for being so rude as I pull him along not being able to contain myself and jumping up into the carriage that I know gets to the very top for a few minutes.

"Oh my god! It's happening!" I shout as Harry pulls the bar down over us, sitting the teddy bear on each one of our legs tapping him on the head as I nearly pee myself beside him I'm excitement.

"Stop jumping around sweets! You're shaking the whole carriage" Harry says gripping onto the bar as I laugh loudly at the fright he got and we aren't even after moving off the ground yet.