Chapter 23

I changed my clothes and grabbed my bag. I checked if everything I needed was in there and I opened my bedroom door. I peeked in the halls to see if there's anyone, but I was lucky because there was no one. I threw my bag on my back and started walking. As I walked through the halls I looked around every corner to see if there was someone. It was dinner time so everyone was in the cantine.

I had some free time the third day I arrived and I used it to look around the Sanctuary if there were any escape possibilities. I found a back door that's leading to the back of the sanctuary. As I took a walk outside of the sanctuary because I told Dwight, Simon and Negan I'm about to vomit, I walked near the fences that surround the Sanctuary to see if there was any part that hasn't barbed wire on top. I even found something better...a part of the fence was damaged and there was a huge hole in it. The workers just closed it with a rope and I can easily open it so this will be my escape hole.

As I reached the door that leads to the back I pushed it open slowly and saw it was completely empty. "Pffff Negan is kinda stupid. Doesn't even have put up guards" I whispered to myself and started running to the hole in the fence. I opened it as quiet as possible, threw my bag through it and crawled through the hole. I closed it again but as I tried to clos it again I saw some lights that were held by some of Negan's men. He probably found out I'm not there anymore and I hurried up so I could run away.

The rope has jammed and I couldn't close the fence again. "Shit come on" I cursed and hit the fence because I was angry. "Fuck it" I said, grabbed my bag but it was so dark I didn't see it. I finally found it but before I could start running I heard voices and felt the lights on me "THERE SHE IS, LET'S GO AND GET HER!" someone yelled and they started running towards me. I threw the bag on my back and started running in the forest. "Ava!" I heard a familiar voice and I started running faster. "STAY THE FUCK WHERE YOU ARE AND TALK TO ME!" Negan yelled but I didn't stop and ran on. I knew that I had a head start but I heard Negans footsteps and yellings relatively close behind me.

I was a good runner, always the best in my class and since the apocalypse it hasn't changed. "God damnit why are you so fast?" Negan yelled. "Well I can do that too" he said and I heard him running faster and he was closer to me than before. "Simon, block the roads, she'll reach the south road in a few minutes." he yelled through his radio. "You know that you're an idiot right?" I yelled back and made a turn to the right and ran in another direction. "Fuck, yes I know could you please stop so we can talk?" he asked. "Definitely not." I said and ran faster.

I slowly got out of breath but I knew I had to go on and I couldn't stop. After about 20 minutes of just running and him yelling at me to stop, I reached a road that I knew. I stopped for a second, turned around and saw that Negan was still behind me but further away. I caught my breath for a second, made many turns to see in which direction I have to run until I knew it again.

It was the same road Carol and I brought Kate to Alexandria. That means that I'm only about 20 or 30 minutes away from home. "You'll never stop, will you?" Negan asked as he reached the road too but we were about 50 meters apart. "Nope, why should I?" I asked and started running again. "Oh come fucking on, are you fucking kidding me right now?" he screamed and I chuckled. It was very dark outside and I started to panic a bit but was also happy because I knew I would see my friends and especially Tara again.

There was an intersection and as I stopped again for a second I decided to run straight ahead. The road got smaller and I just heard Negan yelling something again, but he was too far away. I just heard him curse anything.

I was completely out of breath after 5 minutes and tried to hide somewhere Negan couldn't see me, but I heard someone coming out of the woods. It was too dark to see but the person stood right in front of me. "Ava?" I heard him say and realized it was Daryl. "Daryl, shhh come here." I said, stood up and pulled him in my little hiding spot. "What are you doing here?" he whispered.