Sirius's Trial

Chapter 3: Sirius's Trial

"Claire wake up!" Claire was shaken awake by her mother the next morning.

Claire groaned, pulling the covers over her face. "Sod off! Go bother someone else!"

"Claire Celestine Smith, I am your mother!" Carina shouted.

"Your point?" Claire said.

"Are you talking back?" Carina questioned.

"That's typically how a conversation works, mum," Claire said sarcastically.

Carina glared at her daughter. "If you and your smart mouth aren't up within the next two seconds, then you're going to be scrubbing the toilets with a toothbrush the entire day."

Claire shot up. "I'm awake."

Carina rolled her eyes at her daughter. "Just get dressed. We have company coming over, remember? We have to prepare for your uncle's trial. It got moved from this Sunday to Friday."

"What?" Claire exclaimed. "But that's tomorrow! They can't do that on such short notice! Now we have twenty-four hours before the trial! I have to owl Harry!"

"I already have. The Weasleys are going to pick him up from the Dursleys before coming here. They're also picking up your friend Hermione." Carina said. "Arthur and Molly agreed to help with the trial. We're going to need all the help we can get to prepare for it."

"Well, Harry, Hermione, Ron, and I can help. Maybe even Ginny and the twins," Claire said.

Carina shook her head. "No, this is something for the adults to handle, alright? I don't have time to argue with you about it. Arthur and Molly are bringing the kids so you can all hang out. Now, when you've finished getting dressed come down for breakfast."

Carina left the room before Claire could argue about how Harry, Hermione, Ron, and her could help. Claire pulled on her faded Nirvana t-shirt, black jeans, and combat boots. She walked into her bathroom and grabbed one of her ponytail holders. Pulling her hair into a high ponytail, Claire analyzed herself in the mirror. It had been almost a month since she had departed from Platform 9 and 3/4 with her mom and Claire, though she was probably oblivious to it, had changed a lot this summer. She had grown four inches, standing at 5'7. Her hair had grown as well. It now reached her lower back when it was left down. Claire had also blossomed in other areas; more specifically her chest. Her face had lost the little baby fat it used to have and her features had become more mature and defined. Fixing her ponytail, Claire walked out of her bathroom and walked downstairs into the kitchen. The smell of bacon and toast filled the air. Sirius and her father were already sitting at the table in the kitchen. Claire greeted them as she sat down.

There was a knock on the front door.

"Claire, go answer the door," Carina said.

"But I just sat down," Claire complained.

Carina sent a glare towards her.

Claire sighed. "Fine."

Claire went to answer the door. When she opened it, she was met with the familiar face of Professor Dumbledore.

"Good morning, Professor Dumbledore," Claire greeted.

"Good morning, Claire," Dumbledore replied as he entered the house.

"Everyone's in the kitchen. Just turn left down the hallway and you'll find it," Claire directed him.

Suddenly, there was a noise in the living room. Claire walked into the living room to see Hermione falling out of the fireplace. Claire went over to help her up.