Lies in the Paper and Possibly in Dreams

Chapter 4: Lies in the Paper and Possibly in Dreams

It had been a week since Sirius was declared innocent by the Ministry of Magic and all of the wizarding tabloids had been reporting this news. The Daily Prophet had released several articles on the trial's outcome. The wizarding community was appalled that Pettigrew had framed Sirius Black for his and twelve muggle murders as well as betraying James and Lily Potter to Voldemort.

When one particular article was released about how Black had never had an actual trial prior to this one, the wizarding community sent Howlers to the Ministry of Magic. For some reason, now they felt it was unlawful for Sirius Black to have never had a fair trial before this one; even though when he was arrested thirteen, now almost fourteen, years ago for the murders they had no problem with the fact he wasn't given a trial. Of course, not all of the articles in the tabloids believed that Sirius Black was innocent. (Even though there was substantial evidence that made it clear that he neither killed Pettigrew and twelve muggles or give away the Potter's hiding place.) One particular article was written by Rita Skeeter in the Daily Prophet.

Is Sirius Black Truly Innocent?

Last summer, mass-murderer Sirius Black escaped from Azkaban prison, something no one has ever been able to accomplish. Black was put away for the murder of twelve muggles and Peter Pettigrew, one of his closest friends, as well as betraying the Potter's hiding place to Voldemort thirteen (now fourteen) years ago. However, several months ago, something shocking happened. Peter Pettigrew rose from the dead, appearing in the Great Hall at Hogwarts with Sirius Black's twin sister Carina Black and her husband John Smith (the Doctor) in a blue Police box.

Minister Cornelius Fudge took matters into own his hands to have a re-trial, or in this case trial seeing as there was never a trial for him before. After seeing the evidence, Sirius Black was ruled innocent by the Ministry of Magic, but is he truly innocent? Sure, Pettigrew may be alive, but perhaps Pettigrew is right when he argued that Carina Black and her husband may have manipulated time to make him [Pettigrew] guilty. Why would he think this you say? You see, Carina Black is not married to a wizard or muggle. No, she is married to an alien, a time-traveling alien who's blue box is a time machine. Not to mention, Carina's husband John Smith was the creator of the time-turner. I have also discovered that Carina and John's daughter Claire Smith was given a time-turner last year for her classes at Hogwarts. Could Claire Smith have helped her parents with making Pettigrew guilty? I'll let you decide. For now, readers, we must hope that the Ministry of Magic put the right man behind bars.

"This is complete rubbish!" Carina slammed the Daily Prophet on the kitchen table.

"I'll say. This isn't even my good side," Sirius complained, holding the photo up by his face.

Claire, Harry, and Hermione stifled a laugh.

"I'm being serious!" Carina exclaimed.

"You can't be me," Sirius said, earning himself a slap upside the head.

"I should've hexed that Rita Skeeter in fourth year when I had the chance!" Carina muttered.

"You knew Rita Skeeter?" Claire asked.

Sirius barked with laughter. "Knew her? Your mother and her were archenemies!"

"Down right witch," Carina muttered, still looking at the article with distaste.

"Surely people aren't stupid enough to believe this article," Hermione said.

"It wouldn't surprise me. People will believe anything to stir up gossip," Claire replied.