The Last Straw

*Warning profanity is used in this chapter.

Chapter 13: The Last Straw

"Harry Potter."

The air in the Great Hall filled with tension and silence. Claire couldn't believe her ears. She looked at Harry. He sat there motionless and in shock. He turned to her, Hermione, and Ron.

"I didn't put my name in," Harry said blankly. "You know I didn't."

The three of them stared just as blankly back.

"Harry Potter!" Professor Dumbledore called again. "Harry! Up here, if you please!"

"Go on," Claire whispered, giving him a slight push.

Harry got to his feet, trod on the hem of his robes, and stumbled slightly. Claire watched him disappear through the door behind the teachers' table. Professor Dumbledore cleared his throat.

"This concludes tonight's feast. All Prefects lead your houses to their designated common rooms. Good night!"

He then went through the door Harry had gone through a few seconds earlier.

"Hey, Claire, Ron, Hermione, did Harry tell you about him entering the tournament?" Fred asked them as they entered the common room.

"I don't think Harry entered his name in the tournament. Didn't you see how shocked he was when his name was called?" Claire said.

"Nonsense. He was probably just surprised his name was chosen." George said.

"We should throw a party in his honor for being chosen as champion." Angelina suggested joining in their conversation.

"Brilliant!" Fred exclaimed. "C'mon, George! To the kitchens!"

"I don't think Harry would appreciate this—" Claire was ignored as the twins snuck out through the portrait.

Ron, Hermione, and Claire sat on the couch.

"You don't think Harry put his name in the cup, do you?" Claire asked Ron and Hermione.

"No, I could tell he was just as shocked as us when Dumbledore called his name," Hermione said. "Besides, he wouldn't be that thick to enter the competition."

Claire nodded.

"But there's one thing that's unnerving," Hermione began just as the twins came back with food and the other Gryffindors began to set up for the party. "Since we've established Harry didn't put his name in the cup, who did and why?"

"I have a bad feeling Voldemort is somehow connected to this." Claire said.

"It would make sense." Hermione said. "Your dreams alone have told us he has someone here at Hogwarts. What do you think about this Ron?"

It was then that Claire noticed the blank look on Ron's face as he stared into the flames of the fireplace. Claire had seen him like this before. It was when they were five and she had accidentally torn his Chudley Cannons blanket. He had a blank look on his face similar to the one he held now.

Suddenly, the portrait to the common room opened and Harry came in. The Gryffindors cheered, clapped, and whistled for their champion. Some patted him on the back and the twins (as well as many others) interrogated him on how he put his name in the cup.

"I didn't," Harry said. "I don't know how—"

But Angelina had now swooped down upon him; "If it couldn't be me, at least it's a Gryffindor—"

"You'll be able to pay back Diggory for that last Quidditch match, Harry!" Katie Bell shrieked.

"We've got food, Harry, come and have some—"