Blast to the Past

Chapter 24: Blast to the Past

The days following the second task, several things happened. For one, the champions and their hostages were bombarded with questions by the curious spectators about the events that took place underwater with the aliens. While most of the hostages and champions weren't thrilled about retelling the events, Ron was more than happy to share his side of the story to anyone willing to listen. Claire rolled her eyes as he told Padma a thrilling tale of kidnap in which he struggled single-handedly against fifty heavily armed merpeople who had to beat him into submission before tying him up and trying to feed him to the Saturnyns.

"But I had my wand hidden up my sleeve," he assured Padma, who seemed to be a lot keener on Ron now that he was getting so much attention and made a point of talking to him every time they passed in the corridors. "I could've taken those mer-idiots and those fish-headed aliens any time I wanted."

"What were you going to do, snore at them?" Hermione said waspishly. People had been teasing her so much about being the thing that Viktor Krum would miss the most that she was in a rather tetchy mood.

Ron's ears went red, and thereafter, he reverted to telling the true story; he was put under a sleeping spell and tied to the mermaid statue underneath the water and had to wait to be rescued.

Another thing that happened after the second task was that Claire and Harry had made their relationship official. Those who saw the second task knew of the kiss they shared. Claire and Harry were surprised by the amount of people who came up to them saying that they knew they'd end up together. Besides congratulating them on their relationship, the other students praised both of them for their parts in the second task.

As they entered March, the weather became drier. However, the winds still blew heavily. The harsh winds caused delays in the post, so they didn't receive a letter from Sirius and Carina about Hogsmeade weekend until Monday evening in the Gryffindor Common Room late at night.

Harry

Congratulations on the second task! The Doctor told us about your brilliant performance. We knew you'd do fantastic. Hopefully, those Saturnyns didn't cause too much damage.

Anyway Harry, I'd like you to show this part of the letter to Claire. This is her mother writing.

CLAIRE CELESTINA SMITH WHAT ON EARTH WENT THROUGH THAT MIND OF YOURS THAT CAUSED YOU TO JUMP INTO THE BLACK LAKE WITH THOSE ALIENS?! DO YOU KNOW HOW DANGEROUS THAT WAS?! YOU COULD'VE BEEN KILLED?! WHEN I SEE YOU, YOU HAVE SOME SERIOUS (SIRIUS DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!) EXPLAINING TO DO! NOW HAND THE LETTER BACK TO HARRY.

Hello again, Harry. Now, where was I? Oh yes. Sorry Sirius and I couldn't be there to witness the task. We'll explain everything when we see you on Hogsmeade weekend. Meet Sirius and I at the Three Broomsticks at one o'clock.

See you soon,

Carina and Sirius

P.S. I'll be having a talk with you too, Harry. I know all about the kiss you shared with my daughter after the second task. Don't think you'll be avoiding that conversation.

"Blimey," Ron said as he read the letter over Harry's shoulder. "And I thought my mum was bonkers. Reckon she's a bit cross with you, Claire."

"You don't say." Claire said sarcastically.

"Your mom does have a point though," Hermione began. "That was awfully dangerous jumping into the lake with those creatures."

Claire looked pointedly at Hermione. "If I hadn't of done that, all three of you would've been alien food! What was I supposed to do? Kick back and relax while blood-thirsty water aliens ate my best friends!"