The Egg's Song

Chapter 21: The Egg's Song

A week had passed since the incident with Skeeter at Hogsmeade and Hagrid's intervention. Hermione, Claire, Ron, and Harry were surprised Skeeter hadn't published a new story about the Hogsmeade incident, but they weren't complaining. Meanwhile, Hagrid no longer took Skeeter's article to heart and went back to teaching Care of Magical Creatures. They were happy to have Hagrid back teaching, but they certainly could've done without the skrewts. Since his last talk with Hagrid, Harry (finally) began to focus on the second task. He was determined to make Hagrid proud. Claire followed through with her promise to help him prepare by figuring out when they would try out Cedric's hint about the egg.

"Maybe we should wait until after curfew to sneak into the prefects bathroom." Claire suggested as she and Harry walked into the common room and sat on the couch.

Harry nodded. "That's probably the best idea. There'll be a less likely chance of the other prefects showing up if we go then. The only thing is we'll have to keep watch for Filch."

"Yeah, I don't want to have a run-in with Filch again." Claire said, remembering their first year when they were caught by Filch after sending Noberta away. "Not to mention it'd save us the awkwardness of explaining why were in the perfect's bathroom in the first place. The task is only three weeks away. We need to do this as soon as possible. What date did you have in mind?"

"I was thinking next Monday. That's a week from now. We could take turns keeping watch on the Marauders' Map for Filch's nightly routines until then. That way we can make sure not to go down any of the corridors he patrols." Harry said.

"Ok, next Monday it is." Claire agreed.

"What's going on next Monday?" Hermione said as she and Ron entered the common room coming back from the library. (Ron had waited until the last minute to finish their History of Magic essay which was due the next day. Hermione agreed to help him finish it; after she had scolded him for a good five minutes.)

"That's January 30, right?" Ron said. "Wait, that's your birthday, Claire!"

"It is?" Harry and Hermione said in unison.

"Why didn't you tell us it was your birthday next week?" Hermione questioned.

"I'm just not into the whole celebration thing." Claire said. "Besides, there are more important things to focus on at the moment; like helping Harry prepare for the next task."

Hermione frowned at Harry. "Didn't you say you were already prepared for the second task?"

"Er—yeah. Claire was just going to go over everything to make sure I'm fully prepared. Can't ever be too prepared, right?" Harry said.

Claire discreetly rolled her eyes as Hermione looked doubtful at Harry's response.

"Alright, if you say so." Hermione said before heading up to her dormitory.

"I'm beat." Ron said sitting in between Claire and Harry. "Hermione wouldn't stop complaining the entire time."

"You did wait until the last minute to finish your essay." Harry reasoned.

"Yeah, but she's the one who wanted to help me. She shouldn't have been complaining." Ron said.

Claire scoffed. "If I recall correctly you were the one who was begging her to help you."

Ron's ears tinged a light pink. "No I wasn't."

Claire raised her eyebrow. "Really? This doesn't ring a bell?"

Claire cleared her throat. "'Bloody hell, I forgot to finish my History of Magic essay! Hermione, you're smart. I'm begging you, please help me. I know I'm stupid and forgetful but you're my only hope! If I don't finish this essay I won't be able to go on the trip for History of Magic. Please, please, please, please, Hermione you're smart and brilliant—'"