While The Kids Are Away...🍋🍋🍋

Here is a lemon surprise for you guys as a present on my birthday ❤️❤️❤️ Lemon about half way through!

Don't forget to vote!!!
Word count: 3,034

"My tummy hurts."

I put the small container of yogurt into Nikko's lunchbox and zip it up. I look down at her and hold it out to her.

"Sweetie, are you sure that your tummy hurts or are you just nervous to go to daycare?"

She grabs the hem of her floral print dress, pulling it anxiously with her fingers.

"I dunno."

She shakes her head, the tiny white bow I placed in her hair, moving from side to side.

"Because you were supposed to start daycare last Monday, and your tummy hurt then too."

I lean down so that I can meet her eye line and hold her hands in my own.

"It's okay to be scared. But Kei is going with you too. Plus, you can call me anytime. Your teacher knows that."

Her eyes move downwards, resting at her feet.

"What time will you come get us?"

"Around 4pm. Is that okay?"

She glances at the clock even though she doesn't know how to tell time.

"That's 100 hours from now."

I shake my head, chuckling as I walk over to where Kei is strapped into the stroller.

"That's about 7 hours from now baby. That'll go by so fast."

I grab her backpack from off the counter and she walks over to me so that I can put it over her shoulders.

The ointment Sakura gave me for her back has really done wonders with all of her old scars and healing bruises.

"When I get home, can we play dress up?"

I walk is to the front door, pushing the stroller out and locking the door behind us.

"I would love to!" I tell her happily.

As soon as we make it to the daycare. One of the teachers greets us by the door.

"This must be Keitaro and Nikko Hatake." She gives them both a huge smile and puts her arms out to take Kei from me.

I squeeze him gently, giving him a prolonged kiss on the cheek.

"I love you my sweet boy. Mommy will be back soon."

The teacher pulls him into her arms and bounces him on her hip as I pass her the diaper bag and kneel down to say goodbye to Nikko.

"Okay, pretty girl. You're going to do so well today. You're going to have a blast and make lots of new friends."

She looks up at me with watery eyes and I can't help the way I pull her tightly against me.

Nikko has been with us for almost two weeks now but it feels like she's mine. It feels like she's ours.

I know I told Iruka that I would be able to handle it when Nikko is found a permanent home.

But I'm not so sure anymore.

"You're okay baby. You're gonna be just fine." I don't know if I'm saying it more for her sake or my own.

She wraps her tiny arms around me and nuzzles into my hair the way she does whenever she's scared.

"I can call you if I miss you?"