Next in Line

Hi 🥺 I've missed you guys. I sincerely hope that each and every one of you have been doing well 💖 My fiancé and I have moved into our house in North Carolina and we are officially settled in.
Which means, my computer is up and running. I've slowly started sitting back at the keyboard when I get small pangs of inspiration. But I've been really hard on myself about not keeping up with this story (or the rest of them tbh)
I am slowly trying to come back.
I hope you all enjoy this little chapter to ease myself back into the story 🥰 I love you all.

Hasn't been proof read or anything so go easy on me lol

"You can tell her no."

I slam the laundry basket on the ground with a bit too much force. I can feel Kakashi's uneasiness as I throw my small tantrum.

"I don't get that privilege. You know that." He says, rubbing his face with his palms.

"Oh, so now I'm privileged?" I snap.

"Akari." His voice warns me, though I can tell that he's still trying to remain patient.

I turn to face him, crossing my arms in front of my chest like our daughter does when she doesn't get her way.

I feel childish reacting this way to the news of another mission. But I didn't get to this point without reason.

"I need help Kakashi. Our kids come first. They come before your work. I come before your work. We've barely seen you this month."

I struggle to pick up the full laundry basket and he reaches forward to take it from my hands.

"I know baby. I'm sorry, things are crazy right now."

I follow him to the laundry room where I push past him to fill the washer. I know what I signed up for when I started a life with Kakashi Hatake.

The Copy Ninja. Next in line for Hokage.

But I just can't help how I'm feeling at home.

"We talked about this Ari. You knew things were going to get a little overwhelming the next few months. We agreed that-"

I sigh loudly, cutting him off as I rest my hands on the washer.

"Kei and Nikko miss their daddy. I miss you. That's all I'm saying." I answer softly.

"Maybe not this time, but please Kakashi, no is an answer too."

He reaches forward and cups my face in his palm forcing the bitter and irritated shell that was encasing me a moment ago, to instantly melt.

"I promise you Ari. Next time it's no."

I close my eyes and offer him a tiny smile as he leans in to kiss my forehead.

"So how long is it this time?"

I dump a cup of detergent into the washer and hit the button to start the cycle waiting for him to tell me how long I'll be on my own this time.

"Only 3 days."

Only.

I nod my head and he takes the laundry basket from me to bring it back to the bedroom.

He's only been home five out of thirty days this month. Not including the week he was gone at the end of last month as well.

I didn't anticipate things being this difficult without him at home. I want to be the super mom that everyone believes me to be, but I'm not sure that I'm handling things the way I should.

Plus, I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss my shinobi work.

Between Nikko's growing attachment to Kakashi and Kei's tantrums every night at bedtime, somethings got to give to be sure that he is more present at home.