Chapter 44

I didn't know where I was going, but Sarah led the way through the dense pine foliage.

Angelina had instructed me to find my tether to the ring, but she never told me how. She couldn't describe the sensation or draw a map. The poor witch was likely as clueless as me when it came to navigating the afterlife. But perhaps the tether wasn't some invisible thread that would lead me back to the ring... Perhaps it was Sarah, come to deliver me back to the world of the living. I'd have to let Angelina know this just in case she ever sought to resurrect someone else.

"How are they doing?" Sarah's voice interrupted my thoughts. "Nolan and Dominic, I mean."

I blinked, caught off-guard by the genuine curiosity in her voice. Sarah had known about the hybrid attack and my plan to sacrifice myself to end the battle, but she didn't know how Nolan and Dominic were fairing?

I bent beneath a low tree limb and glanced at my companion, who seemed able to navigate the forest far easier than I could. "Can't you-- y'know..." I trailed off, unsure of how to word my question without offending her. "Can't you watch them?"

She laughed, clearly unfazed by my ungraceful wording. "Yes and no. It's not a simple answer. We can't watch every moment of the day unfold like a reality show, but we receive glimpses. Especially when someone we were once close to experiences a strong emotion."

"Oh," I replied. It was all I could offer while I considered the information. Sarah received glimpses of our life and wellbeing, amplified when we were extremely happy or sad or angry... "Does it bother you? Do you feel disconnected?"

Sarah pulled baby Lyla closer to her chest and shrugged. "Do I wish I could see them face-to-face? Of course. I feel their heartbreak and happiness as if it were my own, but I wouldn't trade those brief moments for anything."

She spoke so eloquently, as if she'd finally found peace. For a moment, I envied her. Would it be so bad for me to stay here, with Sarah and Lyla, and wait for Nolan to join us when the time came?

Yes, it would be so bad. I inwardly scolded my selfishness. I forced the very idea of it from my mind and smiled at my companion. "Well, to answer your question. They are doing well, considering the circumstances..." But I knew what Sarah truly wanted to hear—who she truly wanted to hear about. "Dominic is a born leader. He's brought the rogues together and saved my life more than once... I-I shut him out recently, but he still came to help when I needed him. He'll find happiness again, Sarah."

I figured that Sarah knew what had happened between Dominic and I on the night of his birthday and then everything that followed. She received glimpses when his emotions were heightened, after all. A glance in her direction confirmed my thoughts, as a sad smile adorned her features.

"I'm sorry that happened to you," she responded, and the sincerity of her words caused a lump to form in my throat.

"I-I was in heat, and we both felt the mate-pull. A-and maybe I was too hard on him, but—" I spoke quickly, desperate to explain the situation to Sarah. I shouldn't have felt ashamed, and yet...

"Charlotte," Sarah interrupted, shaking her head. "You don't need to explain yourself to me or anyone else. Heat or not, it shouldn't have happened. I know Dominic feels that way as well. He'll never forgive himself."

I swallowed. "I can forgive him. Even if he can't forgive himself, I can forgive him. It might take a bit of time, but someday..."

Sarah stopped walking and turned to me, blue eyes filled with warmth. "Forgiveness is oftentimes healing for both parties involved. But first, we need to get you back to that ring."